- Women's wheelchair basketball team to play for spot in gold-medal game
- Mitch McIntyre to play for bronze in wheelchair tennis
- Boccia, Para badminton action commences
LIMA, Peru, Aug. 28, 2019 /CNW/ - Thursday's schedule at the Lima 2019 Parapan Am Games will see two sports commence with their first days of action while others are nearing the end of competition with semifinals in wheelchair basketball and goalball. Here's a look at what's coming up for the Canadian Parapan Am Team on Day 7:
- Canada needs a win in the women's wheelchair basketball semifinals to secure its spot in the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games. Requiring a Top 2 finish to qualify, a win means the team is in. They'll face off against Brazil at 6:30 p.m. local time / 7:30 p.m. ET for a place in the gold-medal game. Brazil went 2-1 in preliminary play, finishing second in its group while Canada currently boasts a perfect 3-0 record.
- Mitch McIntyre will be competing for the bronze medal in wheelchair tennis quad singles. He will take on American Bryan Barten at approximately 12:30 p.m. local time. In his first multi-sport Games, McIntyre is looking to become the first Canadian to win a medal in singles in the sport. He currently holds an 0-2 record against his opponent, but the two athletes have not faced off since 2017.
- Para swimming action will see three-time silver medallist Krystal Shaw look for more hardware in the S7 50m butterfly. She has reached the podium in three of four individual appearances thus far at the Games. Other swimmers to race include: Myriam Soliman in the women's S6 100m backstroke final, Clémence Paré in the women's S5 50m butterfly, and Caleb Arndt in the men's S13 50m and 400m freestyle.
- Boccia action kicks off with individual play. Canada's top-ranked player Alison Levine, a silver medallist in pairs in Toronto 2015, will start her medal campaign in the BC4 category. London 2012 Paralympic bronze medallist Marco Dispaltro, who teamed up with Levine in Toronto for that silver medal, will also be in action, as will the other five members of the team: Eric Bussiere, Iulian Ciobanu, Philippe Lord, Marylou Martineau, and Hanif Mawji.
- In goalball, the men will compete in the semifinals against the United States at 3 p.m. local time. The women's team will wrap up the round-robin stage with a match against the USA at 5:30 p.m. local time. They currently sit second in preliminary play with a 3-1 record. The Americans are first at 4-0. Both the Canadian men and women earned a bronze medal at the Toronto 2015 Parapan Am Games.
- Para badminton will be making its Parapan Am Games debut, a year before it enters the Paralympic program for the first time. Canada has a number of athletes competing throughout the day: Olivia Meier, Wyatt Lightfoot, Pascal Lapointe, William Roussy, and Yuka Chokyu all have singles matches, while the teams of Bernard Lapointe and Richard Peter, and Pascal Lapointe and Meier will also hit the court.
HOW TO WATCH
Five sports will be available to livestream in Canada via the CPC Facebook page, CBC Gem streaming service, cbcsports.ca, the CBC Sports app for iOS and Android devices, as well as the Radio-Canada Sports app and radio-canada.ca/sports.
Live Stream Schedule for August 29:
10 a.m. ET – Para swimming Day 5 preliminaries
10 a.m. ET – Para badminton, Day 1
4 p.m. ET – Para swimming Day 5 finals
7:30 p.m. ET – Canada vs. Brazil, Wheelchair Basketball, Semifinals (WOMEN)
*Photos are available at photos.paralympic.ca (sign up for an account). Photos are free for editorial use with credit to Canadian Paralympic Committee.
*To access all flash quotes, please click here.
*To access athlete bios and the complete Canadian Parapan Am Team list, please click here.
*Video highlights, broadcast b-roll, and interview footage are available upon request at [email protected].
Follow @CDNParalympics for the most up-to-date news
About the Canadian Parapan Am Team: Canada is represented by 151 athletes competing in 13 sports at the Lima 2019 Parapan Am Games, taking place August 23 to September 1.
About the Canadian Paralympic Committee: Paralympic.ca
[LINK] LIST OF MEDIA ATTACHÉS BY SPORT
For interview requests with the athletes during the Lima 2019 Parapan Am Games, please contact the specific sport media attaché.
SOURCE Canadian Paralympic Committee (Sponsorships)
For further information: Nicole Watts, Manager, Public Relations, [email protected], Whatsapp: 1-613-462-2700, Lima Cell: +51 920 342 739