OTTAWA and GATINEAU, QC, March 10, 2020 /CNW/ - Delegates from around the world are invited to Ottawa next fall to attend the Communications Policy & Regulation Week from October 5-8, 2020, organized by the International Institute of Communications (IIC). The Week will consist of a number of events, including its International Regulators' Forum, hosted by the CRTC along with ISED's Spectrum and Telecommunications Sector, and its flagship annual conference.
This international gathering brings together senior decision-makers from the telecommunications, media and technology sectors, allowing for collegial discussions on today's most pressing communications issues.
The week's events attract senior policy-makers, regulators, industry executives, academics and lawyers to discuss topics such as privacy and consumer protection, infrastructure and spectrum, competition policy, innovation and content, and governance and investment.
"We are delighted to welcome delegates from around the world to our nation's capital this fall. This event, and particularly the International Regulators' Forum, serves as a meeting place where we can share our experiences and identify common opportunities. We are confident that the Canadian backdrop will inspire participants to engage in fruitful discussions that will benefit our whole community."
- Ian Scott, Chairperson and CEO, CRTC
"In the DNA of the IIC is the belief that the exchange of ideas, and the sharing of best practice, is to everyone's benefit. In a world of seemingly increasing polarization this is, surely, more important than ever. Therefore we are excited to be returning to Canada for our Annual Communications Policy & Regulation Week in October this year, and are grateful to the CRTC for hosting our International Regulators' Forum which will launch the week's proceedings taking place in the vibrant city of Ottawa, conveniently situated to attract colleagues from throughout the world."
- Chris Chapman, President, IIC
"I am pleased that delegates from the telecommunications, media and technology sectors will be coming to Ottawa to discuss today's biggest communications challenges. The communications landscape is continually evolving, and our government looks forward to the outcome of these important discussions."
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry
- Created over 50 years ago, the IIC is one of the longest established global, independent and non-profit organizations of its kind. It enables balanced, open dialogue to shape the global policy agenda by providing a neutral and independent platform for informed debate and knowledge sharing.
- The IIC is comprised of several Chapters around the world, including a Canadian chapter.
- The IIC holds a number of regional events across the globe to enable dialogue on a broad range of issues. Its flagship annual gathering, the Communications Policy & Regulation Week, offers a range of events and workshops taking place over the course of four days.
- The Communications Policy & Regulation Week was last held in Canada in 2009, when the CRTC hosted the International Regulators' Forum in Montreal. Since then, it has traveled around the world to locations such as the United Kingdom, Mexico, Belgium, Thailand and the United States.
- The International Regulators' Forum brings together communications regulatory authorities to discuss issues of direct relevance, and share experiences and approaches within a collegial learning environment.
- The IIC's International Regulators' Forum will take place on October 5-6, 2020, and the Annual Conference will take place on October 7-8, 2020, in Ottawa, Canada.
SOURCE Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission
For further information: Media Relations, (819) 997-9403; General Inquiries, (819) 997-0313, Toll-free 1 (877) 249-CRTC (2782), TTY (819) 994-0423