VANCOUVER, Aug. 27, 2019 /CNW/ - Tickets are now on sale for the 2019 Jack Webster Awards, which recognize excellence in journalism in B.C. Winners will be announced at the awards dinner November 7th, 2019 at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver, which will also feature an armchair chat with the event's special guest, Nahlah Ayed.
Ms. Ayed, host/producer of CBC- Ideas, is a veteran of foreign reportage, first in the Middle East where she spent nearly a decade covering the region's conflicts. Most recently she was based in London, covering many of the major stories of our times—from Russia's annexation of Crimea and conflict in Ukraine, to Europe's refugee crisis, from the plight of Rohingya Muslims, to the Brexit vote and its fallout. In between she's reported from some of the world's most fascinating places: from India, to Myanmar, to Iran and North Korea.
Winners from submissions received from print, radio, television and online media will be awarded in 13 different categories:
- Excellence in Feature/Enterprise Reporting - Print/Text-based online
- Excellence in Feature/Enterprise Reporting - Radio
- Excellence in Feature/Enterprise Reporting - TV
- Excellence in Breaking News Reporting - Print/Text-based online
- Excellence in Breaking News Reporting - Radio
- Excellence in Breaking News Reporting - TV
Presented in memory of Keith Bradbury
- Jack Webster Award for Excellence in Digital Journalism
- Best Reporting, Chinese Language
- Jack Webster Award for Community Reporting
- Jack Webster Award for Business, Industry & Economics
Endowed by Jean Cormier
- Jack Webster Award for Science, Technology, Health & Environment
- Jack Webster Award for Excellence in Legal Journalism
Sponsored by the Law Society of British Columbia
- Jack Webster Award for Commentator of the Year
Presented in memory of Linda Webster.
The no host reception begins at 4:30 p.m..and the awards begin at 6:00 p.m. (precisely!). The annual awards for the Bruce Hutchison Lifetime Achievement Award and the Bill Good Award will also be presented.
This year's Jack Webster Awards are made possible by: BCGEU, BCIT, Capital Direct, FortisBC, Global Container Terminals Inc., Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Langara, LNG Canada, Lyft, Port of Vancouver, UDI, and Unifor, with Hyphen as the Film Partner, Jelly Marketing & PR as the Communication Partner and Rocky Mountaineer as the Raffle Prize Partner.
The Jack Webster Foundation was founded in 1986 and named after the man who was Western Canada's best-known and most influential reporter. He left his mark on the BC journalism scene with his hard-hitting reporting style. In his more than 40 years of print, radio and television journalism, Jack Webster was synonymous with insightful, accurate and unabashed reporting. Today the Jack Webster Foundation carries on Jack's legacy by fostering and excellence in journalism to protect the public interest for British Columbians by: holding the annual Jack Webster Awards for excellence in journalism in BC, awarding annual Student Awards to senior journalism students, awarding Professional Development Fellowships to working journalists, and providing educational seminars for the media.
Our thanks to Cision for sponsoring this announcement.
SOURCE Jack Webster Foundation
For further information: Janet Mitchell, Executive Director, Jack Webster Foundation, T 604-603-4218, E [email protected]