MILTON, ON, March 12, 2018 /CNW/ - On Tuesday, March 6, 2018, regular members and public service employees of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) "O" Division, were recognized for their years of devoted service and continued dedication to the Citizens of Canada.
The recipients of the Long Service Award are men and women who have performed their duties in a manner which is truly "above and beyond." Their actions bring credit to themselves and are in keeping with the highest traditions of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
The award is presented in recognition of all those occasions where the recipient had to display courage, tenacity, patience and good judgement and honour all those actions that make up a long career of exemplary service and good conduct.
In addition to the Long Service Awards, one other recipient was presented with a Commanding Officer's Commendation for Outstanding Service. Inspector John McCarthy was presented with the honour for his tireless, innovative and exceptional planning skills as Mobilization Coordinator which brought great credit to the RCMP and to himself alike through his outstanding service during the G8 and G20 Summits.
- Originally created by King George V in 1934, the RCMP Long Service Medal is awarded to Regular Members of irreproachable character who have reached milestones in their number of service years.
- The Long Service Medal is the oldest continually awarded honour within the Canadian honours system, and the first created specifically for Canadian service within Canada.
- The first presentation of the Long Service Medal was held in Ottawa in March 1935, in the Cartier Drill Hall.
- In 1981, the program was expanded to include Civilian Members and again in 2002 to include Public Service Employees.
- Regular Members, Civilian Members and Public Service Employees are recognized at the milestone of 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 and 45 years of service.
SOURCE Royal Canadian Mounted Police
For further information: Media contact: Sergeant Major Rob Akin, "O" Division (Ontario), Telephone: 905-876-9572
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police is the Canadian national police service and an agency of the Ministry of Public Safety Canada. The RCMP is unique in the world since it is a national, federal, provincial and municipal policing body. We provide a total federal policing service to all Canadians and policing services under contract to the three territories, eight provinces (except Ontario and...