- Including Winnipeg to Churchill and new local Thompson-area shuttle
WINNIPEG, Nov. 30 /CNW Telbec/ - VIA Rail Canada wishes to advise travellers that effective Sunday, December 13, 2009, a new schedule will be in effect for service to Northern Manitoba. In addition to a twice-weekly round-trip service between Winnipeg and Churchill, VIA will also be operating the following new local (shuttle) services:
- once per week from Thompson to Thicket Portage;
- twice per week from Thicket Portage to Thompson; and
- once per week between Gillam and Thompson (round-trip).
The new schedules for the Winnipeg to Churchill train and the new local Thompson-area local trains are being introduced as a result of the current operational requirements on the Hudson Bay Railway (HBR) rail line.
Between Winnipeg and Churchill:
- Northbound train 693 will depart Winnipeg every Sunday and Wednesday at
12:30pm, and arrive in Churchill every Tuesday and Friday at 08:30 a.m.
- Southbound train 692 will depart Churchill at 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday and
Saturday arriving in Winnipeg the following Thursday and Monday
afternoon at 4:40 p.m.
From Thicket Portage to Thompson
- Tuesdays - Departing Thicket Portage at 8:30am. Arriving Thompson
- Tuesdays - Departing Thicket Portage at 7 pm. Arriving Thompson at
From Thompson to Thicket Portage
- Tuesdays - Departing Thompson at 4:00pm. Arriving Thicket Portage
From Gillam to Thompson via Ilford and Pikwitonei:
- Fridays - Departing Gillam at 5:00am. Arriving Thompson at 11:00am
From Thompson to Gillam via Pikwitonei and Ilford:
- Fridays - Departing Thompson at 8:00pm. Arriving Gillam at 2:00am
Customers wishing further information or to reserve a ticket may call 1 888-842-6348 or 1 888-VIA RAIL (842-7245). Bookings may also be made online at viarail.ca. Prior to travel, passengers are advised to call 1 888-842-6348 to determine the on-time status of specific trains in northern Manitoba only.
SOURCE VIA Rail Canada Inc.
For further information: For further information: Catherine Kaloutsky, VIA, (647) 228-1127