- Next Generation of Advanced, Mass-Market Safety Technologies to Help Mitigate More Potential Causes of Accidents
- To Be Introduced as Standard Equipment on Certain Toyota Vehicles Beginning in Mid-2018
TORONTO, Nov. 29, 2017 /CNW/ - Toyota today announced that the second generation of its Toyota Safety Sense™ (TSS) package of active safety features will begin rolling out as standard equipment on certain Toyota vehicles beginning in mid-2018. The updated safety package will add new technologies and capabilities that enhance protection for drivers, passengers, and others who share the road, while helping to provide peace of mind in even more driving situations.
The second generation TSS reflects Toyota's ongoing efforts to reduce the cost of advanced safety technologies and make them accessible to a wider range of new car buyers. The initial version of TSS, along with Lexus Safety System+ (LSS+), brought Toyota's Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), Lane Departure Alert (LDA), and other advanced safety systems to more than five million Toyota and Lexus vehicles sold in North America, Japan, and Europe. By the end of 2017, TSS and LSS+ will be standard on almost every model in the Toyota and Lexus lineups.
As with the first generation TSS, the upgraded system is designed to support driver awareness, decision making and vehicle operation over a wide range of speeds under certain conditions. Packaged together into an integrated system, it helps to address three key areas of accident protection: preventing or mitigating frontal collisions, keeping drivers within their lanes, and enhancing road safety during nighttime driving.
The second generation TSS has been expanded to help improve driver situational awareness while providing additional protections for a pedestrian or bicyclist in front of the vehicle. On certain models, new or updated technologies will include:
- Pre-Collision System (updated) with enhanced deceleration capabilities and the ability to help detect a collision with a pedestrian in front of the vehicle during the day and at night, and bicyclist in front of the vehicle during the day;
- Lane Departure Alert (updated) enhanced with "road edge detection" to increase the vehicle's ability to help drivers stay in their lane;
- Lane Tracing Assist (new), which provides steering support to help the driver keep the vehicle centered in its lane when Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is in operation;
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (updated) with enhanced forward recognition and acceleration/deceleration performance across a wide range of speeds. (Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control not available vehicles equipped with manual transmissions or conventional parking brakes);
With the introduction of second generation TSS beginning in mid-2018, the list of Toyota Safety Sense™ packages in the Canada is as follows:
TSS-C (Certain current models)
TSS-P (Certain current models)
TSS (Beginning mid-2018 in certain models)
• Pre-Collision System
• Lane Departure Alert
• Auto High Beams
• Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection function
• Lane Departure Alert (available with Steering Assist function on certain models)
• Auto High Beams
• Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (Full-Speed Range available on certain models)
• Pre-Collision System with Day/Night Pedestrian Detection function and Day Bicycle Detection function
• Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
• Lane Tracing Assist
• Auto High Beams
• Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (excluding vehicles with manual transmission or conventional parking brakes) with enhanced forward recognition and acceleration/deceleration
Toyota plans to continue expanding the capabilities of Toyota Safety Sense™ with a broader range of automated safety systems and technology as research and development progresses. This proven approach to technology development helps speed the introduction of advanced systems designed to help improve safety, reduce accidents and ease traffic congestion.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Toyota has sold over 5 million vehicles in Canada through a national network of 287 Toyota and Lexus dealerships. Toyota is dedicated to bringing safety, quality, dependability and reliability in the vehicles Canadians drive and the service they receive. TCI's head office is located in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver. Toyota operates two manufacturing facilities in Canada. Having produced more than seven million vehicles, popular Canadian models built at these facilities include Toyota RAV4, Toyota Corolla, Lexus RX 350 and RX 450h hybrid.
To unsubscribe or update your profile, please send an email to email@example.com.
Toyota Canada Inc. | 1 Toyota Place | Toronto, ON | M1H 1H9 | Canada
SOURCE Toyota Canada Inc.
For further information: For more details, including a full list of media contacts, digital images and product details please visit media.toyota.ca.