Canada's Premier Social Destination Opening Second GTA Location
TORONTO, May 15, 2017 /CNW/ - (TSX: CGX) – Cineplex announced today that it plans to open a new location of The Rec Room at Ontario's largest and foremost fashion, lifestyle and entertainment destination, Square One, in Mississauga, Ontario. Canada's newest hot-spot for 'Eats and Entertainment,' The Rec Room brings together incredible dining experiences with exciting live entertainment and amusement gaming experiences, all under one roof. Construction is already well underway for the GTA's first location, which is scheduled to open soon in downtown Toronto's iconic Roundhouse Park.
"With over 25 million visitors passing through their doors each year, Square One is the perfect spot for our second location of The Rec Room in the GTA," said Pat Marshall, Vice President Communications and Investor Relations at Cineplex. "This past September we opened our first location in Edmonton and it has been a tremendous success and has exceeded our expectations. Our guests love the idea of a one-stop dining and entertainment destination. I can assure you that Mississauga is in for a treat!"
Located at 100 City Centre Drive in the north end of the complex, The Rec Room at Square One Shopping Centre will occupy approximately 44,000 square feet over two floors within the shopping centre.
"We are a passionate and genuine partner in creating and driving positive growth and development at Square One and in the Mississauga downtown core, which is why we are so pleased to be partnering with Cineplex on this exciting new venture that I know our guests will love," said Greg Taylor, Director and General Manager, Square One managed by Oxford Properties. "We believe The Rec Room will be a welcome destination for both our guests who live around the corner or visit us from around the globe to enjoy great food, state of the art amusement games and experience incredible live entertainment."
Cineplex plans to open between 10 - 15 new locations of The Rec Room over the coming years, each ranging in size from 40,000-60,000 square feet and customized to the individual community. The massive, often two-storey entertainment complexes will see approximately half of the space devoted to dining and live entertainment and the other half devoted to amusement games and feature attractions.
Leveraging Cineplex's expertise in entertainment, operations, amusement gaming, food service, content creation and digital media, The Rec Room at Square One will include:
- Three10 - an upscale casual restaurant that is playfully named after Canada's three territories and 10 provinces. Its menu features the best in wood-fired pizza and Canadian-inspired cuisine through familiar items that have been elevated and transformed through fresh ingredients and innovative cooking techniques
- The Shed - The Rec Room's quick service destination that includes a poutinerie with elevated toppings like porchetta, smoked brisket, lobster and wild mushrooms. It also has a custom donut bar, called The Pumps
- A bar area where sports fans can grab a drink and catch the game on huge HD screens. In addition to spirits and cocktails, there will also be multiple bars throughout the space serving draught wines and over 20 draught beers, including several local craft beers
- The Yard - a massive attractions area where guests can play over 100 amusement games. Credits earned are tracked on RFID wristbands and can be redeemed at The Trophy Case redemption store for a wide variety of prizes - everything from retro candy to drones, and whisky stones to portable speakers. Bragging rights go to the top earners who will be profiled on The Rec Room's legendary leaderboard
- Feature attractions including virtual reality and race car simulators, as well as classic favourites like bowling lanes, air hockey, pool and ping pong
- With multiple performance spaces offering both live and programmed entertainment, there's always something going on at The Rec Room. Catch an amazing act in our state-of-the-art auditorium or be part of the action at our themed events
- Multiple private dining rooms will make The Rec Room the ultimate gathering spot for celebrations, corporate events and parties
In addition to the first location of The Rec Room which is now open in South Edmonton, Cineplex has announced plans for locations in downtown Toronto at Roundhouse Park, West Edmonton Mall, at Deerfoot City in Calgary, and at CF Masonville Place in London.
About The Rec Room
The Rec Room is Canada's premier 'Eats & Entertainment' destination that brings together incredible dining, amusement gaming, technology and live entertainment experiences all under one roof. Part of Cineplex, The Rec Room is a premier social destination and the ultimate gathering spot for corporate events, groups and parties. While each location is customized to the individual community, The Rec Room concept features multiple dining environments and a wide range of entertainment options including a large amusement games area featuring state-of-the-art simulation, feature attractions and redemption games as well as an auditorium-style space perfect for musical acts, bands and comedians. For more information, visit TheRecRoom.com or follow the action on social media through Facebook (TheRecRoomCA), Twitter (@TheRecRoomCA), Snapchat (@TheRecRoomCA) and Instagram (@TheRecRoomCA).
A leading entertainment and media company, Cineplex (TSX: CGX) is a top-tier Canadian brand that operates in the Film Entertainment and Content, Amusement and Leisure, and Media sectors. As Canada's largest and most innovative film exhibitor, Cineplex welcomes 75 million guests annually through its circuit of 164 theatres across the country. Cineplex also operates successful businesses in digital commerce (CineplexStore.com), food service, alternative programming (Cineplex Events), cinema media (Cineplex Media), digital place-based media (Cineplex Digital Media) and amusement solutions (Player One Amusement Group). It also operates a location based entertainment business through Canada's newest destination for 'Eats & Entertainment' (The Rec Room), and an online eSports platform for competitive and passionate gamers (WorldGaming.com). Additionally, Cineplex is a joint venture partner in SCENE, Canada's largest entertainment loyalty program.
Proudly recognized as having one of the country's Most Admired Corporate Cultures, Cineplex employs over 13,000 people in its offices across Canada and the United States. To learn more visit Cineplex.com or download the Cineplex App.
About Square One
Proudly managed by Oxford Properties, Square One is distinctively positioned as Ontario's largest and foremost fashion, lifestyle and entertainment destination with over 340 merchants including Holt Renfrew, Salvatore Ferragamo, Simons, Apple, Stuart Weitzman, Crate and Barrel, Zara and Whole Foods Market. Square One is owned by Alberta Investment Management Corporation (AIMCo) on behalf of its clients and Oxford Properties Group. Dedicated to sustainability, Square One's 2.2 million square feet has been recognized and awarded by the City of Mississauga for creating a balance between sustainable environmental programs and an exceptional shopping experience. Square One continues its rapid growth, and is one of Canada's Top Ten most productive shopping centres with a current sales productivity of $1,054 per square foot. Square One is a designated tourist destination and is open on statutory holidays. For details visit www.shopSQUAREONE.com. Follow us on Twitter/Instagram @shopSQUAREONE and at Facebook.com/SquareOne.
For further information: Cineplex Media Relations and Investor Relations contact: Pat Marshall, Vice President, Communications and Investor Relations, [email protected], 416-323-6648; Cineplex Media Relations contact: Sarah Van Lange, Director, Communications, [email protected], 416-323-6728; Media Relations for Square One contact: Olena Gisys, NKPR, [email protected], 416-365-3630 ext. 252