Canada's Premier Social Destination and Canada's most loved movie-going experience to anchor the entertainment offering at The Amazing Brentwood
TORONTO, May 16, 2017 /CNW/ - (TSX: CGX) Cineplex announced today that it plans to open its first British Columbia location of The Rec Room at Shape Properties' The Amazing Brentwood. Canada's newest hot-spot for 'Eats and Entertainment,' The Rec Room brings together incredible dining experiences with exciting live entertainment and amusement gaming experiences, all under one roof.
The Amazing Brentwood will also be the new home of a Cineplex VIP Cinemas which provides a movie experience exclusive to Cineplex that features a fully-licensed lounge and licensed auditoriums where guests can relax in luxury recliners and have their food and beverage orders delivered right to their seat.
"We are very excited to add our premier entertainment and dining concepts to this dynamic new centre," said Pat Marshall, Vice President Communications and Investor Relations at Cineplex. "The combination of residential homes, shopping, dining and entertainment makes this the ideal destination for British Columbia's first introduction to The Rec Room, and we know that everyone loves our VIP Cinemas given their tremendous popularity."
"We are very pleased that Cineplex has chosen The Amazing Brentwood for both of its flagship concepts, including the first location of The Rec Room in BC," said Darren Kwiatkowski, Executive Vice President of Development and Design at Shape Properties. "The Cineplex VIP Cinema will occupy the top floor of the signature building that floats dramatically above the Plaza, designed specifically for a premium movie experience. The Rec Room is one floor below, and together they will play an integral role in activating The Plaza and The Entertainment Precinct which is designed to be the vibrant public heart of The Amazing Brentwood and the overall Brentwood Town Centre."
The Amazing Brentwood is located at the corner of Lougheed Highway and Willingdon Avenue, and will be accessible by Skytrain.
Cineplex VIP Cinemas at The Amazing Brentwood will feature five auditoriums, approximately 365 luxury recliners and will be located on the entertainment level, occupying approximately 20,700 square feet. VIP Cinemas are a premium movie-going experience exclusive to Cineplex and feature a fully-licensed lounge to enjoy before or after the movie and specially-designed VIP auditoriums where guests can relax in luxury recliners. VIP Cinema guests can order from an expanded food and beverage menu – which includes a wide selection of wines, spirits and premium craft beers. In addition to Cineplex's famous popcorn, VIP Cinema guests can also select from a menu that features fresh salads, burgers, artisanal cheese plates, charcuterie boards and flatbreads. And all of these items are available in the lounge or can be delivered right to their theatre seat!
The Rec Room:
Leveraging Cineplex's expertise in entertainment, operations, amusement gaming, food service, content creation and digital media, The Rec Room at The Amazing Brentwood will include:
- Three10 - an upscale casual restaurant that is playfully named after Canada's three territories and 10 provinces. Its menu features the best in wood-fired pizza and Canadian-inspired cuisine through familiar items that have been elevated and transformed through fresh ingredients and innovative cooking techniques
- The Shed - The Rec Room's quick service destination that includes a poutinerie with elevated toppings like porchetta, smoked brisket, lobster and wild mushrooms. It also has a custom donut bar, called The Pumps
- A bar area where sports fans can grab a drink and catch the game on huge HD screens. In addition to spirits and cocktails, there will also be multiple bars throughout the space serving draught wines and over 20 draught beers, including several local craft beers
- The Yard - a massive attractions area where guests can play over 100 amusement games. Credits earned are tracked on RFID wristbands and can be redeemed at The Trophy Case redemption store for a wide variety of prizes - everything from retro candy to drones, and whisky stones to portable speakers. Bragging rights go to the top earners who will be profiled on The Rec Room's legendary leaderboard
- Feature attractions including virtual reality and race car simulators, as well as classic favourites like bowling lanes, air hockey, pool and ping pong
- With multiple performance spaces offering both live and programmed entertainment, there's always something going on at The Rec Room. Catch an amazing act in our state-of-the-art auditorium or be part of the action at our themed events
- Multiple private dining rooms will make The Rec Room the ultimate gathering spot for celebrations, corporate events and parties.
In addition to the first location of The Rec Room which is now open in South Edmonton, Cineplex has announced plans for locations in downtown Toronto at Roundhouse Park, and at CF Masonville Place in London and at Square One in Mississauga; also at West Edmonton Mall and at Destination: Deerfoot City in Calgary, AB.
Cineplex plans to open between 10 - 15 new locations of The Rec Room over the coming years, each ranging in size from 40,000-60,000 square feet and customized to the individual community. The massive, often two-storey entertainment complexes will see approximately half of the space devoted to dining and live entertainment and the other half devoted to amusement games and feature attractions.
The Rec Room at The Amazing Brentwood will occupy approximately 44,000 square feet and construction is expected to begin later this year with plans to open in 2019.
About The Rec Room
The Rec Room is Canada's premier 'Eats & Entertainment' destination that brings together incredible dining, amusement gaming, technology and live entertainment experiences all under one roof. Part of Cineplex, The Rec Room is a premier social destination and the ultimate gathering spot for corporate events, groups and parties. While each location is customized to the individual community, The Rec Room concept features multiple dining environments and a wide range of entertainment options including a large amusement games area featuring state-of-the-art simulation, feature attractions and redemption games as well as an auditorium-style space perfect for musical acts, bands and comedians. For more information, visit TheRecRoom.com or follow the action on social media through Facebook (TheRecRoomCA), Twitter (@TheRecRoomCA), Snapchat (@TheRecRoomCA) and Instagram (@TheRecRoomCA).
A leading entertainment and media company, Cineplex (TSX: CGX) is a top-tier Canadian brand that operates in the Film Entertainment and Content, Amusement and Leisure, and Media sectors. As Canada's largest and most innovative film exhibitor, Cineplex welcomes 75 million guests annually through its circuit of 164 theatres across the country. Cineplex also operates successful businesses in digital commerce (CineplexStore.com), food service, alternative programming (Cineplex Events), cinema media (Cineplex Media), digital place-based media (Cineplex Digital Media) and amusement solutions (Player One Amusement Group). It also operates a location based entertainment business through Canada's newest destination for 'Eats & Entertainment' (The Rec Room), and an online eSports platform for competitive and passionate gamers (WorldGaming.com). Additionally, Cineplex is a joint venture partner in SCENE, Canada's largest entertainment loyalty program.
Proudly recognized as having one of the country's Most Admired Corporate Cultures, Cineplex employs over 13,000 people in its offices across Canada and the United States. To learn more visit Cineplex.com or download the Cineplex App.
For further information: Media Relations and Investor Relations contact: Pat Marshall Vice President, Communications and Investor Relations, [email protected], 416-323-6648