Circus! The Exhibition Explores Science Under the Big Top
TORONTO, May 8, 2012 /CNW/ - The circus has come to the Ontario Science Centre and YOU are the performers! Opening May 9th, Circus! The Exhibition immerses visitors in the illusion and reality, magic and science of the circus.
"We are delighted to bring Circus home after ten years touring North America," said Lesley Lewis, CEO of the Ontario Science Centre. "At Circus you will have fun learning. The science is everywhere. When you try to juggle, you'll learn how the laws of physics work - or don't. When you're nine feet off the ground on the High Wire, you'll appreciate the psychology of balance and when your palms start sweating and your heart starts racing you will better understand human physiology."
This interactive, educational extravaganza will appeal to everyone who has wondered what it would be like to run away and join the circus. Learn how math, physics and anatomy make circus feats possible.
"This exhibition allows us to explore science from the perspective of that exciting and tantalizingly dangerous world of the circus," said Dr. Hooley McLaughlin, Chief Science Officer of the Ontario Science Centre. "Science is a lens through which we can understand the world around us, but the best science experiences take us to the edge of knowledge and excite our imagination."
Get a behind-the-Big-Top view of the acts that have perplexed, mystified and entertained generations of circus-goers. More than 20 interactive exhibits show how science is at the heart of the excitement:
- Get strapped into a harness to test your focus and concentration on the High Wire. See if you can make it across a cable strung three metres above the ground.
- The Balance Bar is a unique experience that demonstrates how balance and centre of gravity are the keys to walking the tightrope. Experiment with different balancing tools to discover the secrets of rotational mechanics.
- Go ballistic with the Human Cannonball using pneumatics and a good aim. Shoot projectiles out of a cannon using a hand pump to hit a target. Explore physics and mathematics and have some fun with trajectories.
- Perform Feats of Strength by trying to bend an iron bar attached to a dynamometer that measures brute force.
- Younger children, along with family and friends, can role-play, dress up, and play make-believe in the Creative Costume and Play Area.
- Take to centre-ring and learn to juggle, spin plates, and dress up as a favourite circus performer or animal. Clown Alley tickles the imagination with facts on the science of giggling and laughter.
- Follow your nose to the Food Vendor Cart to identify many of the smells of the circus and learn the physiological reasons why smells trigger nostalgia.
Circus! The Exhibition was developed, designed and fabricated on-site by staff of the Ontario Science Centre. The exhibition has traveled to science centres, museums and institutions throughout North America. Covering 7,500 square feet (697 sq. metres) the exhibition immerses visitors in the illusion and reality of the circus. Circus: The Exhibition runs through September 3, 2012. For hours and prices visit www.ontariosciencecentre.ca
About the Ontario Science Centre
The Ontario Science Centre delights, informs and challenges the communities we serve, enriching people's lives and understanding through engagement with science of local, national and global relevance. Since 1969, the Ontario Science Centre has welcomed over 45 million visitors, with an interactive approach that was the model for Science Centres around the world. It is the public centre for innovative thinking and provocative dialogue in science and technology, aiming to inspire a lifelong journey of curiosity, discovery and action to create a better future for the planet. The Ontario Science Centre is an agency of the Government of Ontario. Please visit us at Ontariosciencecentre.ca. www.Facebook.com/OntarioScienceCentre Twitter: @OntScienceCtr. YouTube: www.YouTube.com/user/OntarioScienceCentre.
Video with caption: "Video: Circus! The Exhibition at the Ontario Science Centre". Video available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/cgi-bin/playback.cgi?file=20120508_C5416_VIDEO_EN_13299.mp4&posterurl=http://photos.newswire.ca/images/20120508_C5416_PHOTO_EN_13299.jpg&clientName=Ontario%20Science%20Centre&caption=Video%3A%20Circus%21%20The%20Exhibition%20at%20the%20Ontario%20Science%20Centre&title=ONTARIO%20SCIENCE%20CENTRE%20%2D%20%27The%20Greatest%20Show%20on%20Earth%27%20at%20the%20Ontario%20Science%20Centre&headline=%27The%20Greatest%20Show%20on%20Earth%27%20at%20the%20Ontario%20Science%20Centre
Image with caption: "Lesley Lewis, CEO, Ontario Science Centre, and Host Greg Stokes at a special preview of Circus! The Exhibition, opening May 9th at the Ontario Science Centre. (CNW Group/Ontario Science Centre)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20120508_C5416_PHOTO_EN_13303.jpg
Image with caption: "Students from Toronto's Roywood Public School gather around the contortionist's box, part of Circus! The Exhibition, opening May 9th at the Ontario Science Centre. (CNW Group/Ontario Science Centre)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20120508_C5416_PHOTO_EN_13304.jpg
For further information:
Christine Crosbie, Media Relations Officer
Ontario Science Centre
416-696-3191 Cell: 416-895-5482
Jefferson Darrell, Media Relations Officer
Ontario Science Centre