WINNIPEG, Nov. 28, 2018 /CNW/ - With its economy expanding at the strongest pace in more than a decade, Manitoba isn't used to the attention it's receiving as one of Canada's strongest economies. Unlike regions that have seen strong employment growth in a handful of industries or occupations, Manitoba is experiencing strong employment growth across its widely diversified economy. The result is that employers in almost every industry are competing to attract and retain the best and brightest – that's the message from this year's Manitoba's Top Employers, announced this morning by Mediacorp Canada Inc., which manages the competition.
"The range of career opportunities at this year's Manitoba winners is the envy of any region of Canada," says Richard Yerema, Managing Editor of the Canada's Top 100 Employers project at Mediacorp. "Whether you work in agribusiness, manufacturing or environmental consulting, there are opportunities in Manitoba for everyone at this year's winning employers – even professional hockey players."
Published annually since 2006, Manitoba's Top Employers is a special designation that recognizes Manitoba employers that lead their industries in offering exceptional places to work. Employers are evaluated by the editors at Canada's Top 100 Employers using the same criteria as the national competition: (1) Physical Workplace; (2) Work Atmosphere & Social; (3) Health, Financial & Family Benefits; (4) Vacation & Time Off; (5) Employee Communications; (6) Performance Management; (7) Training & Skills Development; and (8) Community Involvement. Employers are compared to other organizations in their field to determine which offer the most progressive and forward-thinking programs. The annual competition is open to any employer with its head office in Manitoba; employers of any size may apply, whether private or public sector.
Some of the initiatives singled out this year by the editors include:
- Winkler-based Access Credit Union helps employees give back to the community projects by providing paid time-off for volunteering and matching employee donations to local charitable causes.
- Palliser Furniture in Winnipeg helps employees plan for 'life after work' with matching RSP contributions and, for many staff, profit-sharing and year-end bonuses.
- Winnipeg Airports Authority supports employees with young families by offering generous maternity and parental leave top-up payments to new moms (to 93% of salary for 32 weeks) and dads (to 93% of salary for 15 weeks).
- In addition to excellent vacation and time-off policies, Winnipeg-based CWB National Leasing keeps employees up-to-date on company developments every two months through free luncheons (called "Pardon the Interruption") on a range of topics.
- Manitoba Hydro encourages employees to upgrade their skills through generous tuition subsidies (to $8,000) for training courses related to their position.
- Through its youth foundation, True North Sports + Entertainment encourages employees – including professional hockey players – to get involved in three outreach programs that help thousands of young people from underserved communities across Manitoba go to summer camp, attend hockey school and improve their mental health/coping skills.
Founded in 1992, Mediacorp Canada Inc. is the nation's largest publisher of employment periodicals. Since 1999, the Toronto-based publisher has managed the Canada's Top 100 Employers project, which includes 18 regional and special-interest editorial competitions that reach over 13 million Canadians annually through a variety of magazine and newspaper partners. Mediacorp operates Eluta.ca, a large Canadian job search engine, which includes editorial reviews from the Canada's Top 100 Employers project and is used by over seven million Canadians each year. Together with Willis Towers Watson, Mediacorp hosts the Top Employer Summit, Canada's largest conference for HR decision-makers.
The full list of Manitoba's Top Employers for 2019 is available on the competition homepage. The winners were announced in a special magazine published in the Winnipeg Free Press this morning. Detailed reasons for selection, with more stories and photos, were released this morning and are available on the competition homepage.
SOURCE Mediacorp Canada Inc.
For further information: Kristina Leung, Senior Editor, 416-964-6069 x1464