Reminder to summer travellers from U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the
Canada Border Services Agency

WASHINGTON, June 29 /CNW Telbec/ - This summer travel season, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) joined efforts to remind summer travellers of document requirements to travel into both countries. The two agencies want to educate travellers about these requirements to make their travel experience a more enjoyable one.

CBP reminds travellers:

    -   The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires U.S. and
        Canadian citizens, aged 16 and older to present a valid, acceptable
        travel document that denotes both identity and citizenship when
        entering the United States by land or sea. U.S. and Canadian citizens
        under age 16 may present a birth certificate or alternative proof of
        citizenship when entering by land or sea.

    -   WHTI-compliant documents for entry into the U.S. at land and sea
        ports include:
           -  U.S. or Canadian passports;
           -  Trusted Traveller Card (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST/EXPRES);
           -  U.S. Passport Card;
           -  State or province-issued Enhanced Driver's Licences (when and
              where available). For more information please visit the WHTI
              Web site.

    -   A radio frequency identification (RFID)-enabled travel document, such
        as a U.S. Passport Card, Enhanced Driver's Licence / Enhanced
        Identification Card or Trusted Traveller Program card, expedites
        entry and makes crossing the border more efficient.

    -   Other programs that facilitate the entry process for international
        travellers coming into the country to visit, study or conduct
        legitimate business include "Trusted Traveller Programs" such as
        SENTRI, NEXUS and Global Entry. For more information about these
        programs, please visit

The CBSA reminds travellers:

    -   Canadian entry requirements have not changed as a result of the
        U.S. WHTI.
    -   Canadians returning home (including children) are encouraged to carry
        proper identification to assist in confirming their legal right to
        enter Canada.
    -   United States citizens do not need to carry a passport to enter
        Canada however they should carry proof of citizenship (such as a
        birth certificate) as well as photo identification.
    -   Visitors to Canada should be aware of the requirements to import a
        firearm into Canada. Many weapons are considered prohibited and are
        therefore not allowed into Canada. All travellers must declare any
        firearms and weapons in their possession when they enter Canada.
        Anyone who does not declare them upon arrival can face prosecution
        and the firearms, and the vehicle used to carry them, may be seized.
    -   Visit for more information including entry
        requirements into Canada for non-Canadians and to download a copy of
        I Declare, a detailed publication describing what to expect when
        bringing goods into Canada.
    -   Canada bound border wait time are available on the CBSA Web site
        ( and
        on Twitter (

For more information please visit or

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control and protection of the United States' borders at and between official ports of entry. CBP is charged with keeping terrorists and terrorist weapons out of the country while enforcing hundreds of U.S. laws.

SOURCE Canada Border Services Agency

For further information: For further information: Joanne Ferreira, CBP Public Affairs, 202-344-1780; CBSA Media Relations, 613-957-6500

Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890