New Social Playground Opening in 2020
TORONTO, Nov. 1, 2018 /CNW/ - (TSX: CGX), Cineplex, a leading entertainment and media company, today announced plans to open a new location of The Rec Room at Park Place in Barrie, Ontario. Canada's new go-to destination for delicious eats and entertainment, The Rec Room combines incredible dining, live entertainment and amusement gaming experiences, all under one roof. Construction of the over 32,000 square foot complex is scheduled to begin early next year, with an opening targeted for the summer of 2020.
"The Rec Room at Park Place will be a social playground where millennials, families and kids of all ages can come together for great food and fun times," said Ellis Jacob, President and CEO, Cineplex. "We know that many Barrie residents have visited our location in downtown Toronto at the historic Roundhouse, so being part of this conveniently located, open-air shopping centre in the heart of Barrie makes perfect sense for us and the community."
- The Rec Room features multiple dining options with a little something for everyone
- For guests looking to sit down and enjoy a meal, the casual dining area – called THREE10 – features a menu of delicious shareables and handcrafted dishes including fresh salads, smoked cheddar mac and cheese, rotisserie chicken, wood-fired pizza, steak and ribs and The Rec Room's signature THREE10 burger
- For those looking to eat where they play, the quick service dining area – called The Shed – features premium poutines and a sweet selection of gourmet donuts
- Thirsty? The Rec Room will have a huge bar area where sports fans can grab a drink, share a bite and catch the big game on even bigger screens
- The Rec Room is the perfect spot for private events – multiple private dining rooms make it ideal for celebrations, meetings, corporate events and parties
…And Even More Fun
- The Rec Room features a massive attractions area where gamers of all ages can play over 100 amusement games
- Guests can enjoy classic favourites like air hockey, pool and ping pong, or lace up for some friendly competition at six bowling lanes
- Credits earned on the games floor (and tracked on RFID wristbands) can be redeemed at The Trophy Case, a store filled with great prizes and nostalgia-inspired treats and toys
- Feeling a little future forward? The Rec Room will feature the latest in virtual reality experiences from VRstudios
- The complex will also have a live performance space where movers and shakers can look forward to bands and musical acts, comedy, trivia, karaoke and live DJs
- The Rec Room features an overall guest experience that integrates the latest in technology, coupled with SCENE, Canada's leading entertainment rewards program
Scheduled to be its fourth location in Ontario and tenth nationwide, The Rec Room at Park Place will be located at the north-east side of the shopping centre and will be built with the support of North American Development Group.
"We are thrilled to be partnering with Cineplex and their exciting new concept, The Rec Room," said Terry Coughlin, Managing Partner at North American Development Group. Coughlin further added, "When we embarked on our journey to transform the former Molson Park into Park Place, our goal was to provide the community with more than just a shopping centre. With the addition of The Rec Room, Park Place will be further solidified as the dominant entertainment, dining and shopping experience serving the growing City of Barrie and its surrounding communities."
Cineplex plans to open 10-15 new locations of The Rec Room over the coming years, each ranging in size from 30,000-50,000 square feet and customized to the individual community. The massive entertainment complexes will see half of the space being devoted to dining and live entertainment and the other half being devoted to amusement games and feature attractions. The Company currently operates five other locations of The Rec Room in South Edmonton (AB), West Edmonton Mall (AB), Calgary (AB), Toronto (ON) and London (ON) and has announced plans for complexes in Mississauga (ON), St. John's (NFLD), Vancouver (BC) and Winnipeg (MB). Cineplex also has plans to open 10-15 Playdium locations – an entertainment complex designed for teens, their friends and family – in mid-sized communities across the country over the coming years.
About The Rec Room
The Rec Room is Canada's premier 'Eats & Entertainment' destination that brings together incredible dining, amusement gaming, technology and live entertainment experiences all under one roof. Part of Cineplex, The Rec Room is a premier social destination and the ultimate gathering spot for corporate events, groups and parties. While each location is customized to the individual community, The Rec Room concept features multiple dining environments and a wide range of entertainment options including a large amusement games area featuring state-of-the-art simulation, feature attractions and redemption games as well as an auditorium-style space perfect for musical acts, bands and comedians. For more information, visit TheRecRoom.com or follow the action on social media through Facebook, Twitter (@TheRecRoomCA), Snapchat (@TheRecRoomCA) and Instagram (@TheRecRoomCA).
A leading entertainment and media company, Cineplex (TSX: CGX) is a top-tier Canadian brand that operates in the Film Entertainment and Content, Amusement and Leisure, and Media sectors. As Canada's largest and most innovative film exhibitor, Cineplex welcomes over 70 million guests annually through its circuit of 164 theatres across the country. Cineplex also operates successful businesses in digital commerce (CineplexStore.com), food service, alternative programming (Cineplex Events), cinema media (Cineplex Media), digital place-based media (Cineplex Digital Media), amusement solutions (Player One Amusement Group) and an online eSports platform for competitive and passionate gamers (WorldGaming.com). Additionally, Cineplex operates a location based entertainment business through Canada's newest destination for 'Eats & Entertainment' (The Rec Room), and will also be opening new complexes specially designed for teens and families (Playdium) as well as exciting new sports and entertainment venues across Canada (Topgolf). Cineplex is a joint venture partner in SCENE, Canada's largest entertainment loyalty program.
Proudly recognized as having one of the country's Most Admired Corporate Cultures, Cineplex employs approximately 13,000 people in its offices across Canada and the United States. To learn more visit Cineplex.com or download the Cineplex App.
North American Development Group ("NADG") has been active in the acquisition, development,
redevelopment and management of over 300 shopping centres, mixed-use and residential developments comprising well over 35 million square feet across Canada and the United States. Currently, NADG has over $4.5 Billion of AUM and owns over 25 million square feet of shopping centre and mixed-use space in the United States and Canada, as well as over a dozen residential land development projects consisting of over 9,000 units in various stages of development or predevelopment. A future pipeline of over 1,600 acres of land slated for mixed-use, residential and retail development is also owned by North American Development Group.
NADG's team of over 235 professionals are located in 11 offices across North America, 6 in Canada and 5 in the United States. The Company is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario with Canadian offices in Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Kelowna and Halifax. NADG's U.S. head office is located in West Palm Beach, Florida with regional offices in Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix and Nashville.
For further information: Cineplex Media Relations contact: Sarah Van Lange, Director, Communications, Sarah.VanLange@Cineplex.com, 416-323-6728
A leading entertainment and media company, Cineplex (TSX:CGX) is a top-tier Canadian brand that operates in the Film Entertainment and Content, Amusement and Leisure, and Media sectors. As Canada’s largest and most innovative film exhibitor, Cineplex welcomes over 70 million guests annually through its circuit of 164 theatres across the country. Cineplex also operates successful businesses...