OTTAWA, June 5, 2019 /CNW/ - The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) plays a central role in keeping Canadians safe. A healthy work environment is paramount to enabling the RCMP to fulfill its role.
Earlier this year, the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, the Honourable Ralph Goodale, announced that the Government of Canada would be establishing an Interim Management Advisory Board to provide the RCMP Commissioner with expert external advice on the management and administration of the RCMP.
Today, the Minister announced the official establishment of the Interim Board, as well as the appointment of its 13 members, including Mr. Richard Dicerni as Chairperson and Ms. Leanne Fitch as Vice-Chairperson. Establishing the Interim Board is a critical step in helping advance the priorities of RCMP transformation, including the development of a "People First Strategy," RCMP business modernization and employee health and well-being. The Board will also work in cooperation with the Commissioner's National Indigenous Advisory Committee with an eye to meaningfully advancing reconciliation and culturally competent policing in Indigenous communities.
Board members were selected based on their executive and corporate management experience and competencies, including in the key areas of human resources and labour relations; governance; change management and innovation; accounting and risk management; information technology; and policing and law enforcement. Great care was taken to select members who reflect Canadian diversity, gender balance and regional representation, and who support Indigenous reconciliation.
Minister Goodale also highlighted that legislative changes to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act had been included in Bill C-97: Budget Implementation Act, 2019, No.1 which, if passed, will make the Interim Board permanent.
The names of all 13 members and their biographies are available here: Members of the Interim Management Advisory Board for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Additional information on the role of the Board can be found here: Interim Management Advisory Board for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
"I am extremely pleased to welcome the first-ever members of the RCMP's new Interim Management Advisory Board. These individuals were carefully selected, based on their experience, knowledge, expertise and background, to provide high-calibre advice to Commissioner Lucki and the Government of Canada. Their participation in the transformation of Canada's national police force is incredibly important and I look forward to the contributions they will make."
– The Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Management
"I am confident that the members of the advisory board will bring a wealth of additional perspectives to help us realize our vision. I look forward to their advice and insights as we continue our journey to develop as a more modern, healthy and inclusive organization, trusted by Canadians for policing excellence."
– Brenda Lucki, Commissioner, Royal Canadian Mounted Police
"It is an honour to serve as the first Chair of the Interim Management Advisory Board. The Board will provide the RCMP Commissioner with expert external advice on management and administration. We look forward to providing the best possible advice to support a modern, healthy, safe and respectful work environment for all members and employees."
– Richard Dicerni, Chairperson, Interim Management Advisory Board
- In 2016, in response to persistent allegations of workplace harassment and related civil claims, the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness requested two independent reviews of harassment within the RCMP, one by the Civilian Review and Complaints Commission (CRCC), the other by Ms. Sheila Fraser.
- The CRCC and Fraser reports were publicly released in May 2017, and found that the RCMP continues to have systemic issues contributing to harassment and bullying behaviour in the workplace. The reports also reiterated calls for structural reforms as enablers of culture change.
- In January 2019, Minister Goodale accepted all of the recommendations in the CRCC and Fraser reports and committed to creating an Interim Management Advisory Board to assist with their implementation, as well as introducing legislation to make the Board permanent.
- The Interim Board will help guide the foundational changes required to address the recommendations made by the CRCC and Ms. Fraser.
- News Release: New Interim Management Advisory Board to help drive RCMP modernization
- Backgrounder: Interim Management Advisory Board for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Response to the Review of the Four Cases of Civil Litigation against the RCMP on Workplace Harassment and the Report on Workplace Harassment in the RCMP
- Announcement of RCMP Commissioner Lucki's mandate letter
- Minister of Public Safety announces the appointment of a Special Advisor: Sheila Fraser to examine the RCMP's handling of four harassment claims
- Statement on Review of Harassment in the RCMP
SOURCE Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada
For further information: Scott Bardsley, Manager of Media and Communications, Office of the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, 613-998-5681, email@example.com; Media Relations, Public Safety Canada, 613-991-0657, firstname.lastname@example.org