OTTAWA, May 5, 2017 /CNW/ - In the past week, Canadians have witnessed increased flooding in certain communities in central and eastern Canada. Environment and Climate Change Canada has issued rainfall warnings and other special weather statements for Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia which is likely to lead to further flooding. The Government understands that this may be cause for concern, and many Canadians are looking for guidance on how they can protect their families and property.
The Government of Canada remains in close contact with its Provincial and Territorial partners and stands ready to provide assistance. The Government Operations Centre continues to actively monitor flood levels across Canada on a 24/7 basis and has dedicated staff ready to coordinate a federal response should it be required.
If you are already experiencing flooding near your home:
- Cooperate fully with first responders. They have significant expertise in emergency management and are best placed to keep your family and property safe.
- Consult your local authorities for the latest updates in your particular area. The websites and social media feeds of your municipal government, police, and fire services are excellent resources for status updates and other safety notices.
If you think your property may be vulnerable to flooding:
- Prepare a "72-hour Emergency Kit".
- Visit canada.ca/flood-ready to learn if you are "Flood Ready" and get tips on how to reduce the impact of flooding on your property.
- Contact your municipal government to find out about their programs on reducing flooding impacts. They may also be able to tell you if your property or neighborhood is particularly at risk.
- Talk to your insurance agent or broker to find out what's covered under your policy.
As the situation unfolds, please continue to follow the direction of local officials, keep your families safe and, in true Canadian fashion, look out for the safety of one another.
Need more information?
Telephone: 1 800 O-CANADA (1 800 622-6232)
E-mail: [email protected]
SOURCE Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada
For further information: For media enquiries only: Scott Bardsley, Office of the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, 613-998-5681; Media Relations, Public Safety Canada, 613-991-0657, [email protected]