– Season 2 renewal underway for TRANSPLANT as CTV Originals slate includes Season 3 renewal for hit comedy JANN, new comedy series CHILDREN RUIN EVERYTHING, new paranormal series THE SURREALTOR, CTV's HOLMES FAMILY EFFECT, and new seasons of CORNER GAS ANIMATED, THE AMAZING RACE CANADA, and WYNONNA EARP, along with the special all-star edition of MASTERCHEF CANADA: BACK TO WIN –
− Crave confirms Season 9 of LETTERKENNY –
− Discovery Networks adds new original series MUD MOUNTAIN HAULERS (working title) from the producers of HIGHWAY THRU HELL and HEAVY RESCUE 401 –
− Bell Media delivers new documentaries on Buffy Sainte-Marie, Howie Mandel, Montréal's West End Gang and mob lawyer Sidney Leithman, the Vancouver Grizzlies, and Inconvenient Indian based on Thomas King's national bestseller −
To tweet this release: thelede.ca/euC5JA
TORONTO, June 23, 2020 /CNW/ - Bell Media confirmed today the new and returning original prime time entertainment series, documentaries, and specials fueling its English-language services and produced in partnership with independent production partners.
"While these are certainly unprecedented times for producers, we thank our invaluable production partners, as well as funding agencies, guilds, and unions, as we all work tirelessly to ensure we return to set safely, and once again deliver an Incredibly strong roster of original programming for Canadian viewers," said Randy Lennox, President, Bell Media. "Recent events have also allowed us to re-examine and take action as we work diligently to increase the representation of diverse voices in front of and behind-the-scenes in the content we create."
Bell Media's English-language original programming is some of the most watched and most awarded in the country:
- THE AMAZING RACE CANADA is not only last year's #1 Canadian series, but also Canada's most-watched summer program for seven years straight in the A25-54 demo. The fan-favourite series won six 2020 Canadian Screen Awards, including Best Reality/Competition Program or Series.
- TRANSPLANT quickly became the most-watched Canadian drama during its first season on CTV, while JANN was the #1 new Canadian comedy of 2018-19, and received three 2020 Canadian Screen Award nominations, including Best Comedy Series.
- CORNER GAS ANIMATED reigned as the #1 series on CTV Comedy Channel last broadcast year and won three 2020 Canadian Screen Awards, including Best Animated Program or Series.
- Discovery hit DISASTERS AT SEA was named Best Factual Series at the Canadian Screen Awards, while HEAVY RESCUE: 401 is a Top 5 series for the channel among total viewers across all seasons.
Among today's announcements:
- CTV announced today along with NBCUniversal International Studios that a Season 2 renewal is underway for TRANSPLANT, the #1 Canadian drama and Top 20 hit from Sphere Media, hot on the heels of NBC's earlier acquisition of the series' first season.
- As well, hit comedy series JANN, starring Jann Arden, has been renewed for Season 3 ahead of its second season premiere this fall on CTV, announced earlier today.
- The CTV Originals slate also includes the previously confirmed comedy CHILDREN RUIN EVERYTHING from the producers of LETTERKENNY; new paranormal series THE SURREALTOR from the producers of SPINNING OUT and VAGRANT QUEEN; music documentary series THIS IS POP, recounting the most pivotal moments in pop music history; the newly retitled series HOLMES FAMILY EFFECT; and new seasons of CORNER GAS ANIMATED, THE AMAZING RACE CANADA, and WYNONNA EARP, along with the special all-star edition of MASTERCHEF CANADA: BACK TO WIN.
- In addition to a strong roster of original documentaries (see below), Crave confirmed today that fan-favourite series LETTERKENNY is returning for Season 9.
- Discovery Networks adds MUD MOUNTAIN HAULERS (working title) from the producers of returning hits HIGHWAY THRU HELL and HEAVY RESCUE 4O1, as well as two additional new series marking a new partnership between fishing adventurer Cyril Chaquet and Discovery. A new season of DISASTERS AT SEA is also set to return.
- Plus, Bell Media confirms new documentaries BUFFY SAINTE-MARIE: POWER IN THE BLOOD and HOWIE MANDEL: BUT, ENOUGH ABOUT ME, along with new Crave Original documentaries THE NEW CORPORATION, the unfortunately necessary sequel to 2003's THE CORPORATION; THE GRIZZLY TRUTH about the former NBA team the Vancouver Grizzlies; and INCONVENIENT INDIAN, based on the stinging bestseller by Thomas King.
To view full press release, click here.
Source: Numeris, Commercial Stations only. Conventional: 2019-20 BYTD Top 20 (Sept. 16, 2019 – May 10, 2020), 2018-19 BY (Sept. 17, 2018 – May 26, 2019). Specialty: 2019-20 BYTD (Aug. 26, 2019 – May 10, 2020), 2018-19 (Aug. 27, 2018 – Aug. 25, 2019).
SOURCE Bell Media