MISSISSAUGA, ON, Feb. 10, 2015 /CNW/ - Walmart Canada unveiled its nationwide Valentine's Day survey conducted for the retailer by Research Management Group*. It seems that cupid has hit the hearts of Canadians as more than half (60 per cent) will be shopping for a gift this Valentine's Day. Furthermore, they will be looking to spoil their special someone, spending $177 on average.
According to this year's survey, the most popular gifts for Valentine's Day are candy (51 per cent) followed by greeting cards (34 per cent), apparel/footwear (27 per cent), gift cards (16 per cent) toys (14 per cent), and flowers (13 per cent).
"At Walmart, you can find everything from top brands at great prices to heart-printed body pillows and adorable stuffed animals," said Lee Tappenden, chief merchandising officer for Walmart Canada. We even stock classroom favourites, $1-$3 Valentine's Day loot bag must-haves– perfect for the little ones and their friends."
According to a separate survey conducted by Leger Marketing for Walmart Canada**, Canadians have regional preferences when it comes to gifting and receiving at Valentine's Day.
- Traditional and simple gifts are still a hit. Manitobans and Quebecers want flowers for Valentine's Day. Manitobans are also most likely to mark the special day with a Valentine's Day card.
- Taking the number one spot on the Valentine's Day wish lists of Atlantic Canadians are house hold items such as décor and kitchen items. They are also most likely to gift them.
- Some Canadians are all about sparkle. Albertans are most likely to give jewelry, and jewelry tops the wish list of Quebecers.
"Finding the right gift that expresses your love can be stressful but walmart.ca is a great resource if you're looking for inspiration," added Tappenden. "Our online Valentine's Day gift guide and resource centre are great ways to find that special gift at a price that you'll love. And because Cupid arrives on a Saturday this year, even last minute shoppers can find everything they need in-store."
Below is a selection of great gift ideas at various price points for your loved ones:
Gifts Under $10
- Heart Straws, $1 per pack
- Licensed Valentine Exchange Cards, $2 and $3
- Valentine Fleece Throw, $5
- Lindor Amour Heart,108g, $9.97
Gifts Under $25
- 8" x 10"Assorted Picture Frames, $14.97 each
- Valentine Fashion Body Pillow, $15
- Stainless Steel Cufflinks with CZ, $15
- BELLA Waffle Stick Maker, $19.88
Gifts Under $50
- AViiQ Pink Extended Bluetooth Selfie Wand, $29.88
- blackweb SoundPebble Portable Wireless Speaker, $29.88
- 14kt Gold Pearl Diamond Pendant, $29.99
Gifts Over $75
- Gucci Guilty For Women By Gucci, $79.97
- Lacoste Essential 2 Piece Set, $89.97
- Beats by Dr Dre: urBeats In-Ear Headphones $99.96
- Miadora 1/10 Carat T.W. Diamond Heart Pendant in 10 K White Gold with 17" Rope Chain, $248
*Valentine's Day Trend Survey
Conducted by Research Management Group for Walmart Canada, the online survey of 627 shoppers has a margin of error of 3.9 per cent. Respondents were recruited from the Asking Canadians national panel to quotas representing primary household shoppers by region, gender and age to reflect the national profile. Note that like the primary household shopper profile the sample is 70 per cent female and 30 per cent male. Fieldwork timing was from January 12 and February 5, 2015.
**Leger Marketing Survey
The survey was completed online from January 19 to 222, 2015 using Leger Marketing's online panel, LegerWeb, with a sample of 1,517 Canadians 19 years of age or older. A probability sample of the same size would yield a margin of error of 2.6 per cent, 19 times out of 20. Leger Marketing's online panel has approximately 400,000 members nationally – with between 10,000 and 20,000 new members added each month – and has a retention rate of 90 per cent. Panel members are randomly selected to receive email invitations to the individual surveys.
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a growing chain of more than 390 locations nationwide serving more than one million customers each day, as well as its flagship online store, www.walmart.ca, which is visited by over 400,000 Canadians daily. With more than 90,000 associates, Walmart is one of Canada's largest employers and is ranked one of Canada's top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada is focused on supporting families in need. Since 1994, the company has donated and raised more than $200 million to Canadian charities and not-for-profit organizations. Additional company information can be found at walmartcanada.ca, facebook.com/walmartcanada and at twitter.com/@walmartcanada.
SOURCE Walmart Canada
For further information: Susie Nick, APEX Public Relations, 416-934-2125, [email protected]