WASHINGTON, D.C., June 25, 2019 /CNW/ - Canadians and Americans share common values of a just and equitable society. Continued collaboration, productive conversation and partnership between Canada and the United States on justice matters remain a priority for the Government of Canada.
Tomorrow, the Honorable David Lametti, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada will meet with William Barr, United States Attorney General. This meeting follows on an introductory call Minister Lametti had with Attorney General Barr on April 25th. They will discuss a broad range of matters including money laundering, data and privacy, crimes that target seniors, as well as the upcoming meeting of Ministers of the Quintet and Five Country Ministerial.
As part of the Government of Canada's work to modernize Canada's privacy laws, Minister Lametti will engage with U.S. experts on issues related to privacy reform. He will also meet with academics to discuss current trends in Canada-U.S. policy.
"Canada and the United States are two countries united by the foundational societal values of justice, the rule of law and democratic systems. I look forward to tomorrow's meeting with my counterpart, William Barr, United States Attorney General, and the opportunity to further our mutual interests."
The Honourable David Lametti, P.C., Q.C., M.P.
Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada
- William Barr was confirmed as the 85th United States Attorney General on February 14, 2019.
- William Barr also served as the United States Attorney General under President George H.W. Bush.
- Tomorrow's meeting will be the fourth bilateral meeting between the Attorney Generals of Canada and the United States since November 2015.
- About the Honourable David Lametti
- Canada's System of Justice
- Office of the United States Attorney General
- Follow the Department of Justice Canada on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
- Follow Minister Lametti on Twitter: @MinJusticeEn.
- Subscribe to receive our news releases and more via RSS feeds. For more information or to subscribe, visit http://justice.gc.ca/eng/news-nouv/rss.html.
SOURCE Department of Justice Canada
For further information: media may contact: Rachel Rappaport, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Justice, 613-992-6568; Media Relations, Department of Justice Canada, 613-957-4207, [email protected]