MONTRÉAL, March 3, 2017 /CNW/ - Media can still attend the Fifth Regional Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction in the Americas (RP17), which will take place in Montreal, March 7 through March 9, 2017.
The RP17, hosted by the Government of Canada in collaboration with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), will bring together some 1,000 delegates from 35 countries and 20 territories in the Americas. Ministers, Public officials, governmental and non-governmental, private sector, academics and Indigenous representatives will discuss opportunities to reduce disaster risks in the region and to meet commitments set in the United Nations' Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (2015-2030).
Tuesday, March 7 – Thursday, March 9, 2017
Palais des congrès de Montréal
201 Viger Street West
Just a few of the many events open media include:
- Opening Ceremonies featuring Canada's Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, the Honourable Ralph Goodale and the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction, Robert Glasser
(March 7 – 09:00 EST – Event will be broadcast on Periscope)
- Plenary and parallel sessions covering a wide range of issues related to disaster risk reduction (most events available via webcast)
- A cultural performance in honour of Indigenous Women on International Women's Day
(March 8 – 16:00 EST)
- Closing Ceremonies and the official signing of the "Montreal Declaration"
(March 9 – 15:00 EST – Event will be broadcast on Periscope and Facebook Live)
- Closing Ceremonies featuring Canada's Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, the Honourable Ralph Goodale and Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction, Robert Glasser
(March 9 – 16:00 EST)
A full list of the sessions and events open to media can be found attached. Registered and accredited media will have the opportunity to engage delegates throughout the event. A Press Conference area and Media Centre will also be available onsite.
Advance registration is now closed, however journalists may still register in-person at the conference registration desk. Please allow yourself some time to complete this process as staff at the registration desk may experience high volumes, particularly during peak hours.
All journalists and media staff/technicians must present valid press accreditation. If you have any questions about the registration process or requirements, please contact [email protected] or call 1-613-991-0657.
Follow on social media: @UNISDR_Americas (available mostly in Spanish) and @Safety_Canada by using the hashtag #SendaiAmericas. You can also follow the discussion on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/EmergencyReadyinCanada/).
SOURCE Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada
For further information: Media Relations: Public Safety Canada, Tel.: 1-613-991-0657, Email: [email protected]; Global Affairs Canada, Summits and Official Events, Office of Protocol, Tel.: 1-343-203-2398, Email: [email protected]; The United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), Humberto Jaime, Communications Manager, UNISDR - The Americas, Email: [email protected]