The one and only Big Mac celebrates its 50th birthday
TORONTO, Jan. 30, 2018 /CNW/ - Bacon (and Big Mac®) fans rejoice! To kick-off the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the iconic Big Mac, McDonald's Canada is bringing back Big Mac Bacon for a limited time only.
Canadians may have also seen billboards and ads across the country featuring black-and-white fashion photography and a mysterious date. This morning, the billboards changed to reveal the hero of the photos—the Big Mac Bacon—and announce that it's available in restaurants now. The campaign will feature a new series of ads comparing the Big Mac Bacon to a piece of art (which, of course it is)!
The Big Mac Bacon sparked a national debate when it was first launched as a limited-time offer last year. People all over Canada wondered whether a Big Mac with bacon is still a Big Mac. The results are in and more than 60 per cent of voters agreed: bacon or not, it is still the one and only Big Mac.
"We really wanted to showcase the Big Mac in a modern and relevant way by integrating it into pop culture, while at the same time not taking ourselves too seriously," says Antoinette Benoit, Chief Marketing Officer, McDonald's Canada. "We took inspiration from how a fashion company might launch an exclusive collection by revealing the promotion as a limited-edition collaboration, through a series of billboards and ads until we finally revealed the Big Mac, treating it like the cultural icon it is."
"Over the course of its 50-year history, the Big Mac has become a culinary icon and the recipe has remained unchanged since its introduction. That's pretty remarkable," says Jeff Anderson, McDonald's Canada Chef. "The addition of another Canadian classic—bacon—to the sandwich for a limited-time symbolizes the modern McDonald's journey, with innovative menu items alongside much-loved classics."
- Invented by Jim Delligatti in Pittsburgh, the Big Mac was first served in the United States and Canada in 1968.
- Quebecers love their Big Macs! The province sells the most Big Mac sandwiches compared to any other.
- The most Big Macs sold in a 24-hour period is during the annual McHappy Day® fundraising campaign (happening May 2, 2018).
- The Big Mac includes two 100 per cent Canadian beef patties (along with the legendary special sauce, crisp lettuce, processed cheddar cheese, pickles and onions on a toasted sesame seed bun).
- McDonald's will be celebrating the anniversary around the world with a number of Big-Mac-focused activities throughout the year.
- Big Mac Bacon is available at participating McDonald's Canada restaurants from January 30th for a limited time only.
About McDonald's Canada
In 1967, Canadians welcomed the first McDonald's restaurant to Richmond, British Columbia. Today, McDonald's Restaurants of Canada Limited has become part of the Canadian fabric, serving close to three million guests every day. Together with our franchisees, we proudly employ nearly 90,000 people from coast-to-coast and approximately 85 per cent of McDonald's 1,400 Canadian restaurants are locally owned and operated by independent entrepreneurs. Of the almost $1 billion we spend on food, more than 85 per cent is purchased from over 100 suppliers in Canada. For more information on McDonald's Canada visit McDonalds.ca.
SOURCE McDonald's Canada
For further information: Kristen Hunter, [email protected], 416-446-3371