OTTAWA, July 31, 2015 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Steven Blaney, Canada's Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada, announced the Harper Government has amended the firearms classification regulations to prescribe Ceska Zbrojovka (CZ) 858 rifles and certain Swiss Arms family of firearms as "restricted" or "non-restricted" as they were treated prior to February 26, 2014.
Through these amendments, possession of the CZ 858 rifle and certain Swiss Arms family of firearms will be governed by the same rules as those applicable to non-restricted and restricted firearms in Canada.
The Harper Government supports a firearms control system that encourages compliance and reduces the administrative burden on law-abiding firearms owners while maintaining safety for Canadian communities.
- These changes provide certainty for firearms owners who purchased a CZ 858 Tactical 2 or 4 rifle or certain Swiss Arms family of firearms in good faith, that they will not face any criminal consequences.
- Information about how such firearms must be stored, transported or displayed is available via the Canadian Firearms Program.
"Following the February 2014 reclassification of the CZ 858 rifles and Swiss Arms family of firearms, our Government committed to take action to ensure that the property rights of affected individuals were restored. These changes honour that commitment, our government will always stand-up for law-abiding hunters, farmers and sport shooters."
- The Honourable Steven Blaney, Canada's Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada
- The Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act Receives Royal Assent
- Statement from Minister Blaney on the coming into force of the Firearms Amnesty
SOURCE Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada
For further information: Etienne Rainville, Press Secretary, Office of Canada's Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, 613-991-2924; Media Relations, Public Safety Canada, 613-991-0657, [email protected]