OTTAWA, Nov. 20, 2017 /CNW/ - The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) is a vital component of both our public safety and our national security. Moreover, it is an institution that embodies the best of what Canada and Canadians aspire to be – upstanding, loyal and committed to the pursuit of justice.
This past summer, the Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, named Mr. Frank McKenna as Chair of the Selection Committee to select a new RCMP Commissioner. The Committee is an independent, non-partisan body whose mandate it is to develop and recommend a list of highly qualified candidates for the Minister's consideration, based upon which he will make his recommendation to the Prime Minister.
Today, Minister Goodale announced the remaining members of the Selection Committee:
- Daniel Jean – National Security and Intelligence Advisor to the Prime Minister, Privy Council Office
- Malcolm Brown – Deputy Minister, Public Safety Canada
- Gina Wilson – Deputy Minister, Status of Women Canada
- Beverley Busson – former Interim Commissioner, RCMP
- Marianne Ryan – former Deputy Commissioner, RCMP
- Tammy Cook-Searson – Chief, Lac La Ronge First Nation Indian Band
- Devon Clunis – former Chief, Winnipeg Police Service
- Barbara Byers – former Secretary-Treasurer, Canadian Labour Congress
- Manuelle Oudar – Chair of the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer, Board of Workplace Standards, Equity, Health and Safety (CNESST)
The Minister announced that the search firm Boyden Ottawa has been engaged to support the Committee and also made public the Selection Committee's Terms of Reference which were reviewed by Committee members.
Applications are being reviewed and highly qualified applicants who best meet the selection criteria will be invited to an interview and further assessments.
"I look forward to receiving the list of outstanding individuals the Selection Committee will propose for the position of RCMP Commissioner. This is an essential position in helping ensure public safety and national security, and the Prime Minister and I are determined to move deliberately to fill it."
- The Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
- On February 25, 2016, the Government of Canada announced a new, more rigorous approach to Governor in Council appointments, which supports open, transparent and merit-based selection processes that are open to all Canadians.
- To this end, selection committees are established to assess and recommend candidates for appointment to various Governor in Council positions.
- Selection committee membership is based on two considerations: who is responsible for making the appointment recommendation, and who can bring a perspective on the needs of the organization.
- Terms of Reference: Selection Committee for the Position of Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- An update on the process for selecting the new Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Governor in Council appointments
- Current Opportunity: Commissioner, Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Appointment Opportunity
SOURCE Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada
For further information: Scott Bardsley, Office of the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, 613-998-5681; Media Relations, Public Safety Canada, 613-991-0657, [email protected]