- Ford is working with consumer electronics leader Best Buy to offer a 240-volt home charging station for owners of the all-new Ford Focus Electric battery electric vehicle
- Best Buy intends to supply the charging station, and offer complete consultation and installation services through its Geek Squad tech support services unit
- Ford's on-board 6.6-kilowatt charger allows for full charge at home with the 240-volt outlet in three to four hours - charging in half the time as the Nissan Leaf
TORONTO, April 11, 2012 /CNW/ - Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited is working with consumer electronics leader Best Buy Canada to offer Ford Focus Electric owners a convenient and dependable solution for home charging station installation.
Ford and Best Buy will offer a 240-volt home charging station for the company's all-new Ford Focus Electric battery electric vehicle and future plug-in electric vehicles in Canada. Best Buy intends to supply the charging station and offer complete consultation and installation services through Geek Squad and third-party licensed electrical contractors.
"With fast charge times, low pricing and a user-friendly design, the 240-volt home charge station sets a new standard in the electric vehicle ownership experience," said Steve Ross, product marketing manager of sustainability and electrification, Ford Canada. "By working with Best Buy and Geek Squad to offer the charging station installation service solution, Ford is providing electric vehicle customers in Canada with a familiar, trusted source to turn to for their installation needs."
Focus Electric owners can work with their Ford dealer or contact Best Buy directly to set up an in-home consultation and installation with Geek Squad as a single point of contact. The charging stations were co-developed with Leviton, a leader in the electrical industry that provides smart solutions for professionals in global residential, commercial and industrial markets.
During the appointment, a Geek Squad Agent will conduct a quick electrical survey to ensure the residence can support the 240-volt charging station. Once the residence passes the electrical survey, the Geek Squad agent will schedule a master electrician for a hassle-free charging station installation.
"Best Buy is excited to move into this new and evolving space to offer the latest transportation technologies to our customers," says Martin Caines, director of merchandising exclusive brands and new business. "Our partnership with Ford is the first step towards being able to offer our customers in-home energy management services which will help Canadians reduce the cost of electricity throughout their homes."
Both Ford and Best Buy are committed to delivering innovative, quality and green solutions to Canadians. The collaboration between Ford and Best Buy combines the expertise and innovation of two leaders in their respective industries. The partnership ensures customers receive a high-quality product and expert installation by a reputable and experienced supplier, which helps enhance the electric vehicle ownership experience.
A better charging solution
Once installed, the Ford charging station can easily be replaced or upgraded without the use of tools thanks to its innovative design and mounting bracket. The 240-volt home charging station will allow Focus Electric owners to fully charge their cars in as little as three to four hours - charging in half the time as the Nissan Leaf.
Designed and produced to be compact and easy to install, the Ford charging station offers Focus Electric owners multiple advantages over competitive systems:
- Nonpermanent installation: The charging unit can be plugged into a 240-volt outlet instead of being hard-wired into the electrical breaker box; making removal and replacement a simple unplug and plug back in operation in the event the owner moves.
- Single point of contact for purchase and installation: Best Buy and Geek Squad will sell, deliver, install and service the home charging station, including contracting any additional home electrical needs for 240-volt service. Best Buy will also handle warranty and repair claims for the charging station.
- Lower price: the home charging station with standard installation will retail for approximately $1,599 - priced lower than competitors' systems.
- Faster charging: With its maximum 32-amp charging capability, Focus Electric owners with the 240-volt home charging station can get a full charge in as little as three to four hours - charging in half the time as the Nissan Leaf.
When the connector is plugged in to the vehicle's charge port, conveniently located between the driver's door and front wheel well, it activates a light ring that loops around the port twice in acknowledgement of connectivity. The light ring then illuminates in quadrants as the vehicle charges. Flashing quadrants represent charge in progress and solid-lit quadrants show stages of charge completion. When the entire ring is solidly lit, the vehicle is fully charged.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited
Ford of Canada's operations include a national headquarters, three regional offices, two branch offices, three vehicle assembly and engine manufacturing plants, and two parts distribution centres. Ford employs approximately 6,000 people in Canada, while an additional 18,000 people are employed in the more than 400 Ford and Ford-Lincoln dealerships across the country. For more information, please visit www.ford.ca.
About Best Buy Canada
Best Buy stores in Canada are a division of Burnaby, BC-based Best Buy Canada Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE:BBY). We are Canada's fastest-growing retailer and e-tailer of consumer electronics, computers and entertainment products. With 77 Best Buy stores across Canada, we offer a unique shopping experience with the latest technology and entertainment products, at the right price, with a no-pressure (non-commissioned) sales environment. Every day our employees are committed to helping deliver technology solutions that enable easy access to people, knowledge, ideas and fun. We are keenly aware of our role and impact on the world, and we are committed to developing and implementing business strategies that bring sustainable technology solutions to our consumers and communities. For information about Best Buy Canada, visit www.BestBuy.ca.
For news releases, related materials and high-resolution photos and video, visit www.media.ford.com.
Image with caption: "Ford is working with consumer electronics leader Best Buy to offer a 240-volt home charging station for owners of the all-new Ford Focus Electric battery electric vehicle in Canada. (CNW Group/Ford of Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20120411_C4314_PHOTO_EN_12107.jpg
For further information:
NATIONAL Public Relations
Email: [email protected]
NATIONAL Public Relations
Email: [email protected]