TORONTO, Aug. 2, 2017 /CNW/ - The Ontario Heritage Trust is calling for applications to the 2018 Doris McCarthy Artist-in-Residence program. The application deadline is September 30, 2017.
This residency program is open to Canadian professional artists practising a wide array of disciplines. Located at Fool's Paradise, McCarthy's former home on the Scarborough Bluffs in Toronto, the site provides accommodation and studio space in a serene and picturesque setting where artists can concentrate on their creative work. Residencies are available throughout 2018, with terms ranging from one to six months.
The program at Fool's Paradise is coordinated and delivered by the Ontario Heritage Trust. According to McCarthy's wishes, the Trust established the residency program to embrace the multi-disciplinary nature of the arts, demonstrate the positive and restorative influence of landscape and the environment, and foster excellence among contemporary Canadian artists, musicians and writers. As part of the residency, artists are required to provide a mentorship opportunity to support the development of an emerging artist or artists.
This program is supported by the RBC Foundation.
- Doris McCarthy (1910-2010) was one of Canada's most recognized landscape painters of the second half of the 20th century.
- Fool's Paradise is a unique heritage site located 21 km (13 miles) east of downtown Toronto, on the edge of the Scarborough Bluffs overlooking Lake Ontario.
- McCarthy donated Fool's Paradise to the Ontario Heritage Trust in 1998 to conserve its scenic, esthetic, natural and cultural values, with the wish that following her death it would become an artist-in-residence centre and venue for heritage activities.
- Five artists were awarded residencies at Fool's Paradise in 2017.
- The Trust works with the Doris McCarthy Gallery (University of Toronto Scarborough), OCAD University, the Canadian Society of Painters in Water Colour, the Ontario Society of Artists and the Writers' Union of Canada on the development of the program.
- Visit heritagetrust.on.ca/dmair for more information on the program – including how to apply.
- Watch this video about the Doris McCarthy Artist-in-Residence program.
The Ontario Heritage Trust is an agency of the Government of Ontario dedicated to identifying, preserving, protecting and promoting Ontario's heritage.
Aussi disponible en français
Ontario Heritage Trust
SOURCE Ontario Heritage Trust
For further information: contact Kimberly Murphy at 416-325-5074 or email@example.com.