Canada's Over 8 Million SCENE Cardholders Treated To Free Popcorn on Friday, January 19, 2018
TORONTO, Jan. 17, 2018 /CNW/ - (TSX: CGX) – There's nothing better than the feeling you get when you are sitting in a theatre as the lights go down snacking on a bag of hot, freshly made Cineplex popcorn. That's why today Cineplex announced that it is treating the over 8 million SCENE cardholders across Canada to a free bag of fluffy, buttery goodness on National Popcorn Day.
The offer is available at all of Cineplex's 163 theatres across Canada for every movie and every showtime on Friday, January 19, 2018. To take part in National Popcorn Day festivities, SCENE members simply need to scan their membership card or the barcode on the SCENE app at the theatre's concession to receive a free small bag of Cineplex's famous popcorn. The offer is valid for one bag per SCENE member and cannot be combined with any other concession offers, combos or promotions. More information is available at Cineplex.com.
"Popcorn has always been synonymous with the movies and is an undeniable part of what makes going to the movies so much fun," said Pat Marshall, Vice President, Communications and Investor Relations, Cineplex. "We are very excited to celebrate National Popcorn Day at our entire network of theatres coast-to-coast as well as on the streets of Toronto!"
Cineplex will also be sharing its passion for popcorn across the Greater Toronto Area on January 19 with the help of a popcorn-inspired food truck. The truck will be visiting high-traffic areas across the city to hand out free, freshly-made popcorn to the public. Interested in popping by to visit the popcorn truck? Keep an eye on @CineplexMovies for route details and follow along using the hashtag #NationalPopcornDay.
Cineplex Popcorn Fast Facts:
- Cineplex anticipates serving more than 200 million kernels of popcorn on National Popcorn Day. And why is that popcorn so delicious? Cineplex actually has a signature popcorn recipe exclusive to its theatres
- Movie-lovers in Saskatchewan consume more popcorn per capita than any other province
- Movie-lovers in Edmonton (AB) consume more popcorn than anywhere else in Canada
- Cineplex pops roughly 29 billion popcorn kernels over the course of a year
- If laid end to end, that's enough popcorn to climb the CN Tower in Toronto (ON) nearly one million times, the Calgary Tower in Calgary (AB) nearly three million times, the Peace Tower in Ottawa (ON) nearly six million times, and the Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal (QC) over nine million times
- If laid end to end, that's enough popcorn to pass Confederation Bridge in Prince Edward Island over 42,000 times
- If you laid popcorn kernels end-to-end from coast-to-coast beginning at Cineplex's theatre in St. John's (NFLD) and ending at its theatre in Victoria (BC), it would take more than 373 million popped kernels to span the distance
Canadians are encouraged to engage in National Popcorn Day and share over social media using the hashtag #NationalPopcornDay, as well as on Cineplex's social channels on Facebook (Facebook.com/Cineplex), Twitter (@CineplexMovies), Instagram (@CineplexMovies) and Snapchat (@CineplexMovies).
A leading entertainment and media company, Cineplex (TSX:CGX) is a top-tier Canadian brand that operates in the Film Entertainment and Content, Amusement and Leisure, and Media sectors. As Canada's largest and most innovative film exhibitor, Cineplex welcomes over 70 million guests annually through its circuit of 163 theatres across the country. Cineplex also operates successful businesses in digital commerce (CineplexStore.com), food service, alternative programming (Cineplex Events), cinema media (Cineplex Media), digital place-based media (Cineplex Digital Media), amusement solutions (Player One Amusement Group) and an online eSports platform for competitive and passionate gamers (WorldGaming.com). Additionally, Cineplex operates a location based entertainment business through Canada's newest destination for 'Eats & Entertainment' (The Rec Room), and will also be opening new complexes specially designed for teens and families (Playdium) as well as exciting new sports and entertainment venues in Canada (Topgolf). Cineplex is a joint venture partner in SCENE, Canada's largest entertainment loyalty program.
Proudly recognized as having one of the country's Most Admired Corporate Cultures, Cineplex employs approximately 13,000 people in its offices across Canada and the United States. To learn more visit Cineplex.com or download the Cineplex App.
For further information: Cineplex Contacts: Media Relations: Sarah Van Lange, Director, Communications, [email protected], 416-323-6728; Investor Relations: Pat Marshall, Vice President, Communications and Investor Relations, [email protected], 416-323-6648