New Platform Shines a Spotlight on the Importance of Entertainment in Our Lives
Integrated Strategy Launches with Animated Short Film
TORONTO, Dec. 15, 2015 /CNW/ - (TSX: CGX) – Cineplex Entertainment ("Cineplex") today announced the launch of a new integrated brand platform that asks Canadians to 'See The Big Picture' and rediscover the importance of entertainment in their lives. Much more than a new slogan, the strategy was crafted around the insight that Canadians wear their busy schedules like badges of honour and that the need for entertainment and enjoyment is important now more than ever before.
The platform was launched today to forge stronger connections with Cineplex guests and customers, as well as unify all of its businesses and 12,000 employees across Canada. Cineplex has grown rapidly in recent years beyond its theatre offerings to become one of Canada's leading entertainment companies – operating businesses in theatrical exhibition, media, food services, digital commerce, amusement gaming, event cinema, digital signage and eSports.
"The new strategy reflects our business, our offerings and the experience we want our guests to have when they spend time with us," said Ellis Jacob, President and Chief Executive Officer of Cineplex Entertainment. "When we ask Canadians to 'See The Big Picture' we are reminding them of the enjoyment we provide in our theatres from coast-to-coast, we are also asking them to rediscover the meaningful role that entertainment can play in all of our lives."
Launched today through an animated short film entitled Lily and the Snowman, the new, fully integrated strategy will be brought to life across Cineplex's marketing, social and communications channels over the coming weeks and months. In addition to being consumer facing, 'See The Big Picture' will be used internally at the corporate and theatre-levels to engage its employee workforce.
Cineplex's new animated short film tells the story of a girl named Lily and a friendly snowman who performs shadow puppet shows for her. As time moves on, the business of life gets in the way of Lily enjoying the entertainment she once loved. By accident, she is struck by a beautiful childhood memory, and finds a whole new, even more important role for her friend later on. Featuring a unique rendition of Genesis' Follow you, follow me, Lily and the Snowman will be promoted across Cineplex's social channels as well as shown to guests as part of the December and January Pre Shows featured at 162 theatres across Canada.
Additional ways that Cineplex is bringing its new brand strategy to life include:
- Lily and the Snowman is the first in a series of short films that Cineplex has planned to support the platform
- Ongoing positioning of 'See The Big Picture' in Cineplex's print and digital advertising, through social media and communications activations, in-theatre signage, on Cineplex.com as well as through the development of sustained, unique onscreen content. It will replace Cineplex's previous brand platform, 'Escape With Us'
- Recognizing that great stories inspire change, 'See The Big Picture' will become integrated into Cineplex's support for Free The Children, its national charity partner. In fact, a four minute version of the song featured in Lily and the Snowman will be available for purchase in January 2016 on Spotify, iTunes and Google Play Music, with proceeds benefitting Free The Children
- Integration and promotion through Cineplex's channel on Air Canada's enRoute In-flight Entertainment systems as well as Cineplex's messaging as part of the SCENE loyalty program
- Creation of a new Cineplex Feature Presentation trailer that will play in theatres across Canada
- A fully integrated digital, social media and public relations campaign will support the brand strategy in December and January. Future plans will rely heavily on calls-to-create and user-generated content from Cineplex's well-established social communities
- Recently named one of Canada's 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures, 'See The Big Picture' will become the cornerstone for employee engagement activities and strategies, at both the corporate and theatre-level
Canadians are encouraged to engage and share over social media using the hashtag #SeeTheBigPicture, as well on Cineplex's Facebook (Facebook.com/Cineplex), Twitter (@CineplexMovies) or Instagram (@CineplexMovies) channels.
About Cineplex Inc.
Cineplex Inc. ("Cineplex") is one of Canada's leading entertainment companies and operates one of the most modern and fully digitized motion picture theatre circuits in the world. A top-tier Canadian brand, Cineplex operates numerous businesses including theatrical exhibition, food services, gaming, alternative programming (Front Row Centre Events), Cineplex Media, Cineplex Digital Solutions, Cineplex Digital Networks, and the online sale of home entertainment content through CineplexStore.com and on apps embedded in various electronic devices. Cineplex is also a joint venture partner in SCENE – Canada's largest entertainment loyalty program.
Cineplex is headquartered in Toronto, Canada, and operates 162 theatres with 1,652 screens from coast to coast, serving approximately 74 million guests annually through the following theatre brands: Cineplex Odeon, SilverCity, Galaxy Cinemas, Colossus, Coliseum, Scotiabank Theatres, Cineplex Cinemas, Cineplex VIP Cinemas, Famous Players and Cinema City. Cineplex also owns and operates the UltraAVX, Poptopia, and Outtakes brands. Cineplex trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol CGX. More information is available at Cineplex.com.
For further information: For more information on the research or to arrange an interview, please contact: Pat Marshall, Vice President, Communications and Investor Relations, Cineplex Entertainment, 416-323-6648, firstname.lastname@example.org; Sarah Van Lange, Director, Communications, Cineplex Entertainment, 416-323-6648, email@example.com