New Social Playground to Feature Multiple Dining Options, Over 100 Amusement Games, a Live Performance Space, Bowling and Virtual Reality
TORONTO, May 15, 2019 /CNW/ - (TSX: CGX) – Cineplex, a leading entertainment and media company, today announced plans to open a new location of The Rec Room in downtown Vancouver, British Columbia. Spanning approximately 45,000 square feet over three floors and a rooftop patio, the massive complex will be the city's new hot-spot for food and fun with incredible dining, exciting live entertainment, amusement gaming experiences and feature attractions, all in one location. Construction of The Rec Room Granville is scheduled to begin next year, with a target opening of late-2021.
"We could not be more excited to bring The Rec Room to Vancouver's lively Granville Entertainment District and introduce residents, visitors and tourists to a unique new social playground where they can eat, drink and play," said Ellis Jacob, President and CEO, Cineplex. "In addition to the location opening soon at Brentwood Town Centre, The Rec Room Granville will be the perfect destination for everyone – from young adults to those who are young at heart – and the ultimate gathering spot for corporate events and parties."
Located at 855 Granville Street in the heart of downtown, Vancouver, The Rec Room will strike the perfect balance of food and fun. Approximately half of the space will be devoted to dining and live entertainment and the other half devoted to amusement games and feature attractions.
- Calling all foodies: The Rec Room will feature multiple dining options with a little something for everyone. The upscale casual dining area, called Three10, will offer a menu of shareables and handcrafted dishes that will satisfy your taste buds and your appetite
- Prefer to eat where you play? The quick service dining area, called The Shed, will feature premium poutines, savoury eats and a sweet selection of made-to-order, mini donuts so you can eat while you compete
- Want some fresh air with your fresh food? The Rec Room Granville will feature a rooftop patio where guests can enjoy the sights and sounds of the city while they eat, drink and play
- Thirsty? The Rec Room will feature several bars throughout the space where sports fans and cocktail lovers alike can grab a drink, share a bite and catch the big game on even bigger screens
- Searching for that perfect social setting? The Rec Room will be the ideal spot for private events, with multiple private dining rooms for celebrations, meetings, team building, corporate events and parties
…And Even More Fun
- Ready to unleash your inner child? The Rec Room Granville will feature a massive attractions area where gamers of all ages can play over 100 amusement games
- Play on the safe side with classic favourites like air hockey, pool and ping pong, engage in a little friendly competition with fun and interactive amusement games, or lace up for some luxury bowling
- Looking for the ultimate redemption? Credits earned and tracked on RFID wristbands can be redeemed at The Trophy Case, a store filled with great prizes and nostalgia-inspired treats and toys
- Feeling future forward? The Rec Room will feature the latest in immersive virtual reality experiences
- Care to level-up your social life? Join us in the live performance space, where movers and shakers can look forward to bands and musical acts, comedy, trivia, karaoke and live DJs
- The Rec Room features an overall guest experience that integrates the latest in technology, coupled with SCENE, Canada's leading entertainment rewards program
"The addition of The Rec Room will act as a major catalyst to the resurgence of Granville's Entertainment District," said Mario Negris, Executive Vice President, CBRE Limited. "The concept will bring great vibrancy and animation to the street and its appeal to families, tourists and corporate groups will only serve to enhance the already active energy of Vancouver's premier social scene. Acting on behalf of the landlord, CBRE's Urban Properties Group is thrilled to have participated in this landmark transaction."
New locations of The Rec Room range in size from 30,000-50,000 square feet, with approximately half of the space devoted to dining and live entertainment and the other half devoted to amusement games and feature attractions. The Company currently operates seven other locations of The Rec Room in South Edmonton (AB), West Edmonton Mall (AB), Calgary (AB), Toronto (ON), London (ON), Mississauga (ON) and St. John's (NFLD), with locations opening soon in Burnaby (BC), Winnipeg (MB) and Barrie (ON). Cineplex also has plans to open 10-15 Playdium locations – an entertainment complex designed for teens, their friends and family – in mid-sized communities across the country over the coming years.
About The Rec Room
The Rec Room is Canada's premier 'Eats & Entertainment' destination that brings together incredible dining, amusement gaming, technology and live entertainment experiences, all under one roof. Part of Cineplex, The Rec Room is a premier social destination and the ultimate gathering spot for corporate events, groups and parties. While each location is customized to the individual community, The Rec Room concept features multiple dining environments and a wide range of entertainment options, including a large amusement games area featuring state-of-the-art simulation, feature attractions and redemption games as well as an auditorium-style space perfect for musical acts, bands and comedians. For more information, visit TheRecRoom.com or follow the action on social media through Facebook (TheRecRoomCA), Twitter (@TheRecRoomCA) and Instagram (@TheRecRoomCA).
Cineplex (TSX:CGX) is a top-tier Canadian brand that operates in the Film Entertainment and Content, Amusement and Leisure, and Media sectors. A leading entertainment and media company, Cineplex welcomes over 70 million guests annually through its circuit of theatres and location based entertainment venues across the country. In addition to being Canada's largest and most innovative film exhibitor, Cineplex also operates successful businesses in digital commerce (CineplexStore.com), food service, alternative programming (Cineplex Events), cinema media (Cineplex Media), digital place-based media (Cineplex Digital Media), amusement solutions (Player One Amusement Group) and an online esports platform for competitive and passionate gamers (WorldGaming.com). Additionally, Cineplex operates a location based entertainment business through Canada's newest destination for 'Eats & Entertainment' (The Rec Room), and will also be opening new complexes specially designed for teens and families (Playdium) as well as exciting new sports and entertainment venues across Canada (Topgolf). Cineplex is a joint venture partner in SCENE, Canada's largest entertainment loyalty program.
Proudly recognized as having one of the country's Most Admired Corporate Cultures, Cineplex employs approximately 13,000 people in its offices across Canada and the United States. To learn more visit Cineplex.com or download the Cineplex App.
For further information: Cineplex Media Relations contacts: Tiana McPhee, Associate, Communications and Investor Relations, Tiana.McPhee@Cineplex.com, 416-323-7479; Sarah Van Lange, Executive Director, Communications, Sarah.VanLange@Cineplex.com, 416-323-6728