First Location in Atlantic Canada Features Bowling, Axe Throwing and Virtual Reality
New Entertainment and Dining Complex Set to Open at Avalon Mall
TORONTO, April 16, 2019 /CNW/ - (TSX: CGX) – Newfoundland now has an epic new hot-spot for food and fun with the opening of The Rec Room at Avalon Mall on Thursday, April 18, 2019. Located at 48 Kenmount Rd, St. John's, the new complex spans 30,000 square feet and offers incredible dining, exciting live entertainment, amusement gaming experiences and feature attractions, all under one roof. The Rec Room at Avalon Mall is the first location to open in Atlantic Canada and features a variety of exciting attractions, including axe throwing, four lanes of luxury bowling and the latest in virtual reality experiences from VRstudios. Did we have you at hello? Click here to watch a short video about all that The Rec Room has to offer!
- Calling all foodies: The Rec Room at Avalon Mall features multiple dining options with a little something for everyone. The upscale casual dining area, called Three10, features a menu of Insta-worthy shareables and handcrafted dishes that will satisfy your taste buds and your appetite. #NoFilter required
- Prefer to eat where you play? For those with FOMO, the quick service dining section, called The Shed, features premium poutines, savoury snacks and a sweet selection of made to order, mini donuts so you can eat while you compete
- Thirsty? The Rec Room features a huge bar where sports fans and cocktail lovers alike can grab a drink, share a bite and catch the big game on even bigger screens
- Searching for that perfect social setting? The Rec Room is the ideal spot for private events, with a private dining room for celebrations, meetings, team building, corporate events and parties
…And Even More Fun
- Ready to unleash your inner child? The Rec Room at Avalon Mall features a massive attractions area where gamers of all ages can play nearly 100 amusement games – and take the occasional winning selfie
- Play on the safe side with classic favourites like air hockey, pool and ping pong, engage in some target practice with axe throwing, or lace-up for some friendly competition at four lanes of luxury bowling
- Looking for the ultimate redemption? Credits earned and tracked on RFID wristbands can be redeemed at The Trophy Case, a store filled with great prizes and nostalgia-inspired treats and toys
- Feeling future-forward? The Rec Room features the latest in virtual reality experiences from VRstudios
- Care to level-up your social life? Join us in the live performance space, where movers and shakers can look forward to bands and musical acts, comedy, trivia, karaoke and live DJs
- The Rec Room features an overall guest experience that integrates the latest in technology, coupled with SCENE, Canada's leading entertainment rewards program
The Rec Room at Avalon Mall is located just steps away from Scotiabank Theatre St. John's. New locations of The Rec Room range in size from 30,000-50,000 square feet, with approximately half of the space devoted to dining and live entertainment and the other half devoted to amusement games and feature attractions. The Company currently operates six other locations of The Rec Room in South Edmonton (AB), West Edmonton Mall (AB), Calgary (AB), Toronto (ON), London (ON) and Mississauga (ON) and has announced plans for complexes in Burnaby (BC), Winnipeg (MB) and Barrie (ON). Cineplex also has plans to open 10-15 Playdium locations – an entertainment complex designed for teens, their friends and family – in mid-sized communities across the country over the coming years.
About The Rec Room
The Rec Room is Canada's premier 'Eats & Entertainment' destination that brings together incredible dining, amusement gaming, technology and live entertainment experiences all under one roof. Part of Cineplex, The Rec Room is a premier social destination and the ultimate gathering spot for corporate events, groups and parties. While each location is customized to the individual community, The Rec Room concept features multiple dining environments and a wide range of entertainment options including a large amusement games area featuring state-of-the-art simulation, feature attractions and redemption games as well as an auditorium-style space perfect for musical acts, bands and comedians. For more information, visit TheRecRoom.com or follow the action on social media through Facebook (@TheRecRoomStJohns), Twitter (@TheRecRoomCA) and Instagram (@TheRecRoomCA).
Cineplex (TSX:CGX) is a top-tier Canadian brand that operates in the Film Entertainment and Content, Amusement and Leisure, and Media sectors. A leading entertainment and media company, Cineplex welcomes over 70 million guests annually through its circuit of theatres and location based entertainment venues across the country. In addition to being Canada's largest and most innovative film exhibitor, Cineplex also operates successful businesses in digital commerce (CineplexStore.com), food service, alternative programming (Cineplex Events), cinema media (Cineplex Media), digital place-based media (Cineplex Digital Media), amusement solutions (Player One Amusement Group) and an online esports platform for competitive and passionate gamers (WorldGaming.com). Additionally, Cineplex operates a location based entertainment business through Canada's newest destination for 'Eats & Entertainment' (The Rec Room), and will also be opening new complexes specially designed for teens and families (Playdium) as well as exciting new sports and entertainment venues across Canada (Topgolf). Cineplex is a joint venture partner in SCENE, Canada's largest entertainment loyalty program.
Proudly recognized as having one of the country's Most Admired Corporate Cultures, Cineplex employs approximately 13,000 people in its offices across Canada and the United States. To learn more visit Cineplex.com or download the Cineplex App.
For further information: Media Relations contacts: Tiana McPhee, Associate, Communications and Investor Relations, Tiana.McPhee@Cineplex.com, 416-323-7479; Sarah Van Lange, Executive Director, Communications, Sarah.VanLange@Cineplex.com, 416-323-6728