- Donations are granted to the Montreal University Hospital Foundation,The Montreal Heart Institute Research Fund, Laval University, Quebec University Foundation, Montreal University's Montreal Campus, Montreal Symphony Orchestra and Foundation of the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, in addition to the contributions to Montreal en Histoires and Passeport MTL étudiant international among others
- As part of #BMO200, BMO unveiled historic tablet to recognize the stewards of the bank and their contributions
- According to the BMO Blue Book, Quebec is on pace for the best economic performance in 15 years
MONTREAL, Oct. 30, 2017 /CNW/ - BMO Financial Group currently has commitments to donate over $38 million to neighborhood programs throughout Quebec to help celebrate the bank's bicentennial.
Several leading community organizations will benefit from the BMO donations in 2017 as a part of individual projects or multi-year pledges, including contributions to:
- The Montreal University Hospital Foundation – $3 million towards their Financing Campaign "Giving the best in healthcare"
- Laval University – $1 million towards the entrepreneurship program and scholarships
- Quebec University Foundation – $750,000 towards research and equipment
- Ste-Justine Hospital – $2 million towards the Espace Transition project and research in immunology
Continued support of local Arts & Culture includes:
- Montreal Symphony Orchestra – $1.2 million towards the promotion of arts and culture
- Les Grands Ballets canadiens – $1 million towards the Espace Danse building
"We are very proud of our pledges to the province, a place that holds so much significance to BMO's history, especially as we mark our bicentennial year," said L. Jacques Menard, BMO Financial Group president, Quebec. "Giving back is not only a major part of the bank's legacy, but an example of our commitment to help create lasting positive impact for the customers who have trusted us to serve them for 200 years and counting."
Mr. Menard also noted that BMO has several major projects that will continue to shine in the coming years, including Montréal en Histoires and Passeport MTL étudiant international. BMO also contributed $1 million to the Society for the Celebrations of Montréal's 375th Anniversary.
In addition, according to the BMO Blue Book released today by BMO Capital Markets Economics and BMO Commercial Banking, Quebec is on pace for the best economic performance in 15 years, largely as a result of some of the strongest job growth in the country and a below-average jobless rate.
"There is a renewed strength in both employment and growth as a result of the increased infrastructure spending, particularly in major cities like Montreal and Quebec City," added Mario Rigante, Senior Vice President, Quebec Division, BMO Bank of Montreal.
To mark BMO's bicentennial, BMO unveiled on Sunday October 29, a commemorative tablet at the BMO Place d'Armes branch in Montreal. The tablet was unveiled at a ceremony bringing together four generations of the Bank's leadership, including Matthew Barrett (former Chairman and CEO), Tony Comper (former Chairman and CEO), David Galloway (former Chairman), Rob Prichard (Chairman), Bill Downe (Chief Executive Officer) and Darryl White (incoming Chief Executive Officer).
The tablet is installed adjacent to the Centenary tablet in the Montreal Main Branch that recognizes those who led the bank from 1917 to 2017. The Tablet immortalizes the stewards of the bank and their contributions over the past 100 years.
To add to the celebration, BMO will continue to grant wishes across a number of categories, such as Green, Togetherness, Legacy, and Community, until November 3 2017 through its BMO200 program. The bank is calling on individuals and organizations to wish it forward by visiting www.BMO200.com or by visiting one of the interactive BMO200 fountains.
To make a wish, please visit BMO200.com.
A photo of the unveiling is available here.
About BMO Financial Group
Established in 1817, and currently marking its 200th year of operations, BMO Financial Group is a highly diversified financial services provider based in North America. With total assets of $709 billion as of July 31, 2017, and more than 45,000 employees, BMO provides a broad range of personal and commercial banking, wealth management and investment banking products and services to more than 12 million customers and conducts business through three operating groups: Personal and Commercial Banking, Wealth Management and BMO Capital Markets.
SOURCE BMO Financial Group
For further information: Media Contacts: Valerie Doucet, Montreal, [email protected], (514) 877-8224; Web: www.bmo.com; Twitter: @BMOmedia