- Eight participants begin program on March 10 with broadcaster internship at Bell Media headquarters in Toronto -
To tweet this release: http://bit.ly/1fkVqoj
OTTAWA, Feb. 21, 2014 /CNW/ - Bell Media announced today from the Canadian Media Production Association's (CMPA) Prime Time in Ottawa conference the inaugural group of participants in the Bell Media Producer Accelerator Lab program. The two-part program is targeted at mid-level Canadian producers and aims to enhance their knowledge and experience at the executive producer level. The Bell Media Producer Accelerator Lab is part of Bell Media's TV Skills Development Initiative, which invests $1.8 million annually in a suite of national training programs.
The first-ever Bell Media Producer Accelerator Lab participants are:
- Trey Anthony (Toronto)
- Award-winning playwright, executive producer, actor, stand-up comedian, and founder of Trey Anthony Studios whose credits include the television and theatrical production of 'DA KINK IN MY HAIR.
- Rosalie Chilelli (Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.)
- Owner and managing director of Edge Enterprises, which provides facilitation, services, and consultation in the areas of financing, scouting, casting, crew recruitment, and training.
- Shane Corkery (Originally from Saskatchewan, now residing in Toronto)
- Co-founder of Counterfeit Pictures and previously the Manager of Development at WestWind Pictures, the production company best known for LITTLE MOSQUE ON THE PRAIRIE (CBC), on which he also served as producer for two seasons.
- Lauren Grant (Originally from B.C., now residing in Toronto)
- Genie Award-winner and principal of Clique Pictures, a production company focused on working with female creative talent both in front of and behind the camera.
- Shaun Johnson (Originally from Winnipeg, now residing in Toronto)
- Head of Production at Aircraft Pictures with credits in the drama, documentary, lifestyle, feature, live comedy, and interactive new media genres; previously a producer at Frantic Films where he was involved in several successful TV series, including TODD AND THE BOOK OF PURE EVIL (Space) and GUINEA PIG (Discovery).
- Sally Karam (Toronto)
- Gemini-nominated producer currently developing her second feature film, Truck Stop; recently completed production on the breakthrough CGI series ALIEN MYSTERIES (Discovery), an original Canadian series using state-of-the-art CGI and green screen techniques.
- Tracey Mack (Vancouver)
- Film, television, and digital media producer who, through her production company Urban Safari Entertainment, created the multi-platform property KIDS' COOKHOUSE, which is currently in development and recently won the TelusOptik TV Award at Merging Media 2013.
- Jennifer Pun (Toronto)
- Producer of more than 45 hours of live action television whose credits include the award-winning tween live-action comedy series HOW TO BE INDIE (YTV) and action/adventure series CONNOR UNDERCOVER (Family Channel); currently developing several television projects through her production company Courier Ink.
"I am pleased to welcome our newest team members to Bell Media!," said Kevin Crull, President, Bell Media. "We created this initiative because we know it is a solid investment in the future of Canadian programming and the creative talent who help us make it. Congratulations to everyone selected."
"We are very excited to welcome the first group of producers to the inaugural Bell Media Producer Accelerator Lab," said Corrie Coe, Senior Vice-President, Independent Production and a Bell Media Programming Champion. "We've worked hard to ensure that this program enhances the skill level of its participants who already have a wealth of experience in the industry, and give them a unique perspective into a Canadian broadcaster."
With participants from across the country, the program begins March 10 with the Broadcaster Internship, which is a six-week, group-based curriculum where producers rotate with internal departments at Bell Media, learning about the business models and economics of Canadian broadcasting. They also attend an industry event or conference, as well as participate in case studies and coaching sessions. After the internship, two producers will be selected for the Production Apprenticeship with a top independent Canadian production company or Bell Media In-House Productions, in order for them to become more familiar with Executive Producer roles and responsibilities.
About the Bell Media TV Skills Development Initiative
The $1.8 million Bell Media TV Skills Development Initiative is a suite of national training programs, exclusively funded by Bell Media, which ensure a comprehensive range of training for writers, producers, directors, and showrunners in the Canadian television industry at different stages of their careers. The Initiative supports the Bell Media Diverse Screenwriters Program (Writers Guild of Canada) for emerging and mid-career writers from diverse backgrounds who intern in a writing room of a Bell Media TV series; the Bell Media National Fellowship Program (Banff World Media Festival), which encourages professional development in the television industry by enabling emerging producers, writers, and directors to attend the festival and take part in mentorship activities; the Bell Media Primetime TV Program (Canadian Film Centre), which provides series development for TV writers; the Bell Media Producer Accelerator Lab, which provides immersive and experiential broadcast and production experience for mid-level producers; the Bell Media Showrunner Bootcamp (Canadian Film Centre), which develops showrunner knowledge and management for TV writers; the Media Leadership Program (Women in Film and Television - Toronto), a biennial program designed for mid to senior-level women and men who want leading-edge academic knowledge and contemporary business and leadership skills required in the Canadian screen-based industry; and the Business Management for Media Professionals Program (Women in Film and Television - Toronto), a certificate program essential for emerging media professionals who want to understand the business of film, television, and interactive production.
About Bell Media Independent Production
Bell Media has commissioned some of Canada's most-watched and most-acclaimed original programming, working with the best Canadian independent producers in the country. Hit CTV series include ratings success stories SAVING HOPE, THE LISTENER, MOTIVE, the #1 new Canadian scripted series of the 2012/13 season, MASTERCHEF CANADA, and THE AMAZING RACE CANADA, the record-breaking, Canadian-produced complementary version of the hit international series. Also coming to CTV in early 2014 is multi-cam office comedy SPUN OUT. Among the scripted series on Bell Media pay and specialty channels are the two-time Emmy®-nominated hit DEGRASSI, leading Canadian Screen Award nominee and internationally acclaimed ORPHAN BLACK, BITTEN, 19-2, and TRANSPORTER: THE SERIES, as well as upcoming dramas SENSITIVE SKIN and KILLJOYS. Bell Media specialty channels are also home to reality series such as BRAVE NEW GIRLS, game shows MATCH GAME and POP QUIZ, and factual series HIGHWAY THRU HELL and CANADA'S WORST DRIVER, among others. In 2013, Bell Media ordered 27 original Canadian series and currently has 84 projects in various stages of development.
About Bell Media
With passion and an unrelenting commitment to excellence, Bell Media creates content and builds brands that entertain, inform, engage, and inspire audiences through the platforms of their choice. Bell Media is Canada's premier multimedia company with leading assets in television, radio, out-of-home advertising, and digital media. Bell Media owns 30 local television stations led by CTV, Canada's #1 television network; 35 specialty channels, including TSN and RDS, Canada's most-watched specialty channels in English and French; four pay TV services, including The Movie Network and Super Écran; and is managing shareholder of premium pay-per-view service Viewers Choice Canada. Bell Media is also Canada's largest radio broadcaster, with 107 licensed radio stations in 55 markets across Canada. Bell Media owns Astral Out-of-Home, one of Canada's most dynamic and innovative out-of-home advertising companies with a network of more than 9,500 advertising faces in Québec, Ontario and British Columbia. Bell Media also operates more than 200 websites, delivers TV Everywhere with its innovative GO video streaming services, including CTV GO, TMN GO, and Bravo GO, and owns Dome Productions Inc., a multi-platform production company. Bell Media is part of BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada's largest communications company. For more on Bell Media, please visit www.bellmedia.ca
SOURCE: Bell Media
For further information:
Amy Doary, Bell Media, 416.384.2593 or [email protected]