QUEBEC CITY, Aug. 20, 2019 /CNW/ - Tarana Burke, founder of the #MeToo movement, will speak to delegates at the Unifor Constitutional Convention in Quebec City on Wednesday, August 21, 2019.
"Tarana has amplified the voices of survivors and opened a new dialogue on sexual assault and harassment," said Unifor National President Jerry Dias. "It's an honour to have her at our Convention to speak to members on this important issue."
A sexual assault survivor, Tarana has dedicated more than 25 years of her life to social justice and to laying the groundwork for the international #MeToo movement.
The Unifor Constitutional Convention is taking place August 19-23, 2019 at the Québec City Convention Centre, 1000 Boulevard René-Lévesque E, Québec.
Accredited media only. Media must register on location.
- WHAT: Tarana Burke, Executive Director of 'Me Too' at Unifor Convention
- WHEN: Wednesday August 21 2019 2:30 p.m.
- WHERE: Québec City Convention Centre, 1000 Boulevard René-Lévesque E, Québec
Tuesday August 20:
- 9:00 a.m. Presentation of Nelson Mandela Award for Human Rights to Roméo Dallaire, with introduction by human rights activist Stephen Lewis.
- 4:30 p.m. Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland address
Wednesday August 21:
- 2:30 p.m. Tarana Burke, founder of the #MeToo movement address
Thursday August 22:
- 9:00 a.m. Members of the Professional Women's Hockey Players Association to address Convention.
All keynote speeches will be live streamed on the Unifor Facebook page @UniforCanada. To view a full copy of the Convention agenda click here. For live updates follow the hashtag #Unifor19 on Twitter or @UnifortheUnion.
Unifor is Canada's largest union in the private sector, representing 315,000 workers in every major area of the economy. The union advocates for all working people and their rights, fights for equality and social justice in Canada and abroad, and strives to create progressive change for a better future.
For further information: please contact Unifor Communications Representative Kathleen O'Keefe at [email protected] or 416-896-3303 (cell); For French interviews, please contact Unifor Quebec Communications Representative, Marie-Andrée L'Heureux at [email protected] or 514-916-7373 (cell).