Overall sales up 64.7% year over year
TORONTO, June 1, 2012 /CNW/ - Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) today reported strong year-over-year sales for most Toyota and Lexus models, highlighted by record-setting months for select hybrid models and Toyota trucks. Building on the post tsunami challenges of one year ago, TCI has regained momentum and reached an overall increase of 64.7 % over May 2011.
Overall sales of 19,810 Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks in May, 2012 eclipsed sales in May, 2011 by 64.7%. This included 18,042 Toyota models (up 72.3%), 1,399 Lexus luxury vehicles (up 41.5%) and 369 Scion vehicles (down 35.4%).
Toyota sales highlights for May 2012 (vs. May 2011)
- Toyota Hybrid sales: 1,691 - representing 9.4% of total Toyota brand sales
- Prius Family sales: 1,212 - up 804.4% and third consecutive month total Prius sales topped 1,000
- Toyota Passenger Car sales: up 94%
- Yaris Hatch sales: 958 - up 162.5%
- Camry / Camry Hybrid sales: 1,992 - up 126.6%
- Corolla sales: 4,594 - up 56%
- Matrix sales: 1,455 - up 64.4%
- Toyota Truck sales: up 48.9% for best-ever May
- RAV4 sales: 2,688 - up 102%
- Tacoma sales: 919 - up 94.3%
- Venza sales: 1,124 - up 32.5% for best-ever May
"A wide array of new products in Toyota dealerships including the Camry, Prius family and this month's launch of the 2013 Venza and all-new FR-S means there's a lot happening in Toyota dealerships," said Tony Wearing, Senior Managing Director, Toyota Canada Inc. "We are extremely pleased to see Canadians responding to our products in such large numbers."
Lexus sales highlights for May 2012 (vs. May 2011)
- Lexus luxury passenger car sales: up 51.3%
- GS series sales (including hybrid): up 520%
- CT 200h sales: up 124%
- IS series sales: up 53.7%
- Lexus luxury SUV sales: up 33.2%
- RX / RXh sales: up 34.7%
"The Lexus family of luxury hybrids - including the redesigned 2013 GS hybrid and the popular CT 200h - accounted for 19.3% of overall Lexus sales," noted Larry Hutchinson, Senior Executive Director, Lexus in Canada. "With the first-ever ES hybrid on the way, as well as the next generation of the ES 350, we look forward to welcoming even more Canadians as our guests in the months ahead."
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every vehicle starting in 2011. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI's head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.
For further information:
For more details, including a full list of media contacts, digital images and product details please visit media.toyota.ca