- eBay.ca celebrates a decade of entrepreneurial success with two new categories and recognizes past winner with "All Star" status -
TORONTO, July 21, 2014 /CNW/ - Calling all entrepreneurs! For the 10th year in a row, eBay Canada is celebrating e-commerce in Canada by shining the spotlight on the sellers behind our computer, mobile and tablet screens with the 2014 Entrepreneur of the Year Awards. Savvy sellers have until August 17, 2014 to vie for the coveted Entrepreneur of the Year title along with all-new categories including Decade-preneur and Up & Comer of the Year.
"It's the 10th anniversary of eBay's Entrepreneur of the Year awards, and to celebrate, we're looking to highlight innovative eBay sellers who showcase a passion and a dedication to growing their online sales," said Andrea Stairs, country manager, eBay Canada. "E-commerce has become an important part of Canadian business and through these awards we recognize the successful entrepreneurs that power Canada's economy."
Canadians purchase more than $1 billion of goods every 12 months on eBay, making this global marketplace the perfect setting for entrepreneurs to kick-start a business. Over the past 10 years, eBay has continued to evolve, with buyers and sellers now conducting business on-the-go via the eBay Mobile App. In fact, last year eBay generated $22 billion in sales through mobile, a 70 per cent increase from 2012.
Celebrating 10 Years of Online Entrepreneurial Achievement
Over the past decade, more than 40 sellers have been recognized through the eBay Canada Entrepreneur of the Year awards. As a way of marking a decade of achievement, eBay Canada has named a special eBay All Star Entrepreneur, a past winner who has continued to propel their eBay business forward since their win.
For 2014, Antoine Viel of Quebec City (eBay ID: DirectMusicOnline), has been selected as eBay Canada's All Star Entrepreneur. Viel won eBay Canada's Innovator of the Year award in 2010; he modernized a 100-year-old music store by bringing it online to eBay. Since his win, Viel has nearly doubled his sales, earning almost $1 million in 2013, and has opened a second eBay store to keep up with demand. As a musician, Viel continues to focus on his customers – with 15 to 20 per cent returning customers – as he ensures that the best quality instruments are delivered in record time within Canada and around the world.
"Winning the eBay Canada Innovator of the Year award in 2010 and the exposure it earned me really took my business to the next level, especially since this journey all began because I was looking for a day job between performances," said Antoine Viel, eBay Canada All Star Entrepreneur. "Musicians are a niche market, so the global marketplace that eBay offers is hugely important to me and since 2010, I've been able to expand my business both within Canada and worldwide. It's an honour to be recognized again by eBay Canada for the continued evolution of my business over the past four years!"
Starting today, sellers who meet eBay requirements can submit their entries online at eBay.ca/EOY by August 17, 2014 for a chance to win in one of the three following categories:
- Entrepreneur of the Year Award: The highly sought-after prize will be awarded to a seller who has built a successful online business. The 2014 winner will exemplify eBay sellers who, in the face of challenges, have achieved their business goals by not only understanding their market, but also delighting their customers.
- NEW! Decade-preneur of the Year Award: To celebrate the 10th anniversary of the eBay Canada Entrepreneur of the Year Awards, the Decade-preneur will need to have a 10-year (minimum) e-commerce business and discuss in their entry how they have adapted to the changing e-commerce landscape over the past decade. In addition to highlighting the challenges they've overcome in their 10 years of business, Decade-preneurs may also showcase the practices they've used to achieve success in traditional or nontraditional ways, like marketing or social media channels.
- NEW! Up & Comer of the Year Award: This category will award the entrepreneurial spirit of sellers who are new to eBay. Entrants to this category must demonstrate how they've worked to overcome early challenges in establishing their fledgling eBay business. Entrants may also highlight compelling business plans or background stories that demonstrate the inspiration behind their new business.
About the 2014 Entrepreneur of the Year Awards program
The Entrepreneur of the Year Awards program is open to full- and part-time eBay sellers aged 18 years and older. All entrants that meet the applicable criteria will also be considered for the Decade-preneur of the Year and the Up & Comer of the Year categories.
Along with bragging rights, the Entrepreneur of the Year will win $3,000 and the Decade-preneur of the Year and Up & Comer of the Year will each receive $2,000. All three winners will also enjoy promotion of their eBay business to more than two-million online buyers.
- Entrants must meet eligibility criteria and answer essay questions in order to enter the competition
- Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. ET Sunday, August 17, 2014
- Winners will be announced during Canadian Small Business Month in October
- For more information and to enter, visit: ebay.ca/EOY
Founded in 1995 in San Jose, California, eBay Inc. connects millions of buyers and sellers globally on a daily basis through eBay, the world's largest online marketplace, and PayPal, which enables individuals and businesses to securely, easily, and quickly send and receive online payments. We also reach millions through specialized marketplaces such as StubHub, the world's largest ticket marketplace, and eBay Classifieds sites, which together have a presence in more than 1,000 cities around the world. eBay is visited by more than 7 million unique Canadian per month (comScore Media Metrix: March 2014).
SOURCE: eBay Canada
For further information: For more information, media please contact: Megan Vickell, eBay Canada, [email protected], 416.934.2028; Rosie Shipton, Edelman (on behalf of eBay Canada), [email protected], 416.849.1505