Greenest Employer designation recognizes utility for its environmental values
AJAX, ON, April 22, 2013 /CNW/ - Veridian Corporation (Veridian) has been named one of Canada's Greenest Employers for a fourth consecutive year. This special designation recognizes Veridian as a workplace that leads the nation in creating a culture of environmental awareness, has developed earth-friendly initiatives and is attracting people to the company because of its environmental leadership.
"Being recognized as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for a fourth consecutive year is a remarkable achievement for Veridian and its employees, and a testament to the company's commitment to incorporating environmental values into its corporate culture," said Board Chair Doug Dickerson. "Earth-friendly business practices, sustainable development, smart grid technologies and electric vehicles have long been key priorities for Veridian. We are extremely proud of where we are today and excited for what progress lies ahead."
Each employer nominated for the award is evaluated on the unique environmental initiatives and programs they have developed, the extent to which they have been successful in reducing the organization's own environmental footprint, the degree to which their employee are involved in these programs and whether they contribute any unique skills, and the extent to which these initiatives have become linked to the employer's public identity and whether they attract new people to the organization.
"Veridian is proud of its long track record of caring for the environment, and the awards and recognition received for its ongoing commitment to environmental sustainability," said company President and CEO Michael Angemeer. "It's an honour to be recognized for a fourth consecutive year - an accomplishment that reflects our passion for thinking green on the foundation of responsible business practices. I would like to congratulate all of our employees for this award as they continually demonstrate a commitment to sustainability that is parallel to the company's dedication."
The competition's selection committee cited the following as some of the reasons why Veridian was selected as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for 2013:
- Has made environmental stewardship a major focus of its community involvement -- providing employees who volunteer with access to funds, company resources, facilities and equipment as well as time away during working hours.
- Recognized as a 'Smart Commute' workplace, the utility maintains a bike sharing program onsite (free to employees) for afternoon use or commuting, an organized carpool system (with the best parking reserved for car-poolers) and a transit subsidy program that offers a 25 per cent reimbursement for the purchase of a six month transit pass.
- Provides employees with interest-free loans for the purchase of energy-efficient appliances for their homes and offers a similar program for the purchase of hybrid vehicles that includes an interest free loan to be used towards the purchase of a new hybrid.
- Is a strong supporter of educational initiatives, ranging from a unique energy conservation program designed for grade five students across the region (that is now being exported to other parts of the province) to research support for electric vehicle development at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT).
- An addition to the utility's head office building was constructed to meet the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver Certification -- and the company recently expanded its solar panel installation on the building's rooftop.
According to Fred Damiani, Veridian's Manager of Human Resources, sustainable education is key to the promotion of a 'green' corporate culture. "Along with lunch and learn sessions where employees can gain valuable information on ways they can reduce their energy consumption at work and at home, a weekly email is sent to employees that includes details on conservation programs, incentives and tips that can help staff manage their electricity use at work and at home, and contribute to a culture of conservation in Ontario."
Veridian has a number of employee and customer programs to reduce its own energy consumption and environmental footprint. These programs range from extensive recycling programs to incentives for employees to use public transit. The company has also implemented fleet programs to reduce idling and purchased hybrid and electric vehicles, including two Chevrolet Volts.
Now entering its seventh year, the Canada's Greenest Employers competition is organized by the editors of the Canada's Top 100 Employers project. The environmental award grew out of two remarkable speeches given by Al Gore and Robert F. Kennedy Jr. at the organizers' annual conferences in 2006 and 2007. Prior to 2009, the award was called Canada's Most Earth-Friendly Employers.
A complete list of Canada's Greenest Employers is available at canadastop100.com/environmental.
Veridian Corporation owns and operates Veridian Connections, a subsidiary company that distributes electricity, generates power and provides energy services to more than 116,000 customers located in nine municipalities in east central Ontario. Veridian's 225-plus employees focus on providing reliable, efficient and sustainable energy solutions and services, while maintaining the highest standards in health and safety within the workplace and in the communities we serve. Veridian Corporation is committed to providing value and healthy financial returns to our shareholders - the City of Pickering, the Town of Ajax, the Municipality of Clarington and the City of Belleville. For more information, visit www.veridiancorporation.ca
For further information:
Sales & PR Representative - Corporate Communications
Veridian Connections Inc.
905-427-9870, extension 2218