MONTRÉAL, June 2, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - The Orchestre symphonique de Montréal wishes to provide a moment of respite to all victims of the recent floods in Montréal. After witnessing first-hand the conditions in some Montréal boroughs in early May, OSM Musical Director Kent Nagano was inspired to do something for Montrealers.
"At a time of crisis like this, friends and neighbours feel the need to contribute by any means possible. It's often under difficult circumstances that communities pool their efforts in a way that's unique and inspiring. As musicians, we can't rebuild homes, but we do hope this small gesture of solidarity and friendship towards Montrealers will contribute to the spirit of cooperation following the floods this spring," said the Maestro this week.
This concert, which will be added to the orchestra's summer programming, will be presented free of charge in the city hall sector, in the borough of Pierrefonds-Roxboro—one of the hardest hit by the floods in early May. It is intended for all Montrealers affected by this unprecedented spring flooding. Kent Nagano will direct the musicians, who have rallied in support of the cause.
The OSM is collaborating with the municipal administration in order to present this free concert for all Montrealers, and the Mayor praised the initiative, while ensuring the deployment of the project.
"We're pleased to take part in this initiative put forward by Kent Nagano and the OSM. This small gesture demonstrates a spirit of solidarity with fellow Montrealers, and it makes me prouder than ever of our city," said Montréal Mayor Denis Coderre.
The OSM had already decided to raise funds for victims of the recent flooding during its final concerts of the season, and the public responded with empathy and generosity. These funds will be remitted to the Québec Branch of the Canadian Red Cross.
The concert for victims of the recent flooding in Montréal takes place June 29 at 7:30 p.m. in the Pierrefonds-Roxboro city hall sector, located at 13 665 boulevard de Pierrefonds in the borough of Pierrefonds-Roxboro. The evening's program is available at osm.ca.
More than 430 homes were flooded in the following cities and boroughs: Ahuntsic–Cartierville; L'Île-Bizard–Sainte-Geneviève; Pierrefonds-Roxboro; Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue and Senneville.
SOURCE Ville de Montréal - Cabinet du maire et du comité exécutif
For further information: Media Relations : For the Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, NATALIE DION, 514 840-7400, extension 7466, email@example.com ; Ville de Montréal, Marc-André Gosselin, Office of the Mayor and the Executive Committee, 514 290- 1194