TORONTO, Dec. 10 /CNW/ - With the holidays around the corner it's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season, but safety is still important. Here are some trusted tips about holiday safety from The Dominion - Canada's Trusted Insurance Company.
For your convenience all of the tips listed below have been tailored for easy social media. Tips consist of no more than 140 characters, so Tweet, Facebook or Blog away!
● Make sure to not overload extension cords with holiday decorations.
● Do not decorate chandeliers with flammable materials. Light bulbs can get hot enough to ignite
the flammable material.
● If you own or rent property, prevent a slip and fall situation, salt/shovel walkways and driveways; more guests visit over the holidays.
● If you're planning on travelling over the holidays, ask someone to watch your house; install automatic light timers as extra precaution.
● If you're hosting holiday parties; have taxicab numbers on hand or be prepared to have
● Never toss wrapping paper or gift boxes in a wood burning fireplace. These materials increase the risk of a chimney fire.
Christmas Tree Safety:
● If purchasing a live tree, make sure it's fresh and well watered. Cut approx. 2 inches off the trunk to help the tree absorb water.
● Real and artificial trees should be placed away from any fireplace, radiator or vent - the heat will dry the tree, creating a fire hazard.
● If you plan on purchasing or already own an artificial tree, double check that it comes with a label certifying it's fire resistant.
● Check tree lights annually. Replace lights if there are broken/missing bulbs, or if wires are frayed/exposed. Check for overheating.
● When shopping, close car windows and lock all doors. Keep purchased gifts hidden in the trunk of your car.
● If you plan to purchase gifts online, make sure the site is secure to protect against identity theft; look for https to verify security.
For more information regarding how you can better protect the items you care about, please visit thedominion.ca.
About The Dominion
Canadian owned and operated since 1887, today The Dominion is one of the country's largest property and casualty insurers. The Dominion takes pride in providing Canadians with confidence that the cars, homes and businesses they value are protected. A fierce advocate for consumer interests, The Dominion is committed to making sure the insurance system works best for consumers. The Dominion strongly believes consumers should have access to independent, professional advisors, who provide advocacy and choice, which is why they distribute their products exclusively through independent brokers. The Dominion's priority is to earn and maintain the trust and loyalty of policyholders, employees and business partners. Visit thedominion.ca.
For further information: For further information:
Vice President, Corporate Communications