66 Wellington Street West added to growing list of LEED certified buildings at TD Centre complex
TORONTO, July 22, 2013 /CNW/ - The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited is proud to announce that its Toronto-Dominion Bank Tower at 66 Wellington Street West has achieved LEED® Gold Certification under the Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance program presented by the Canada Green Building Council.
The Toronto-Dominion Bank tower joins an impressive roster of sustainable buildings at the Toronto-Dominion Centre (TD Centre) complex, including LEED® Gold certified buildings 77 King Street West and 79 Wellington Street West, and LEED® Platinum certified 100 Wellington Street West.
"We are proud to add this certification to a growing list of accomplishments resulting from our unwavering commitment to green initiatives," said TD Centre General Manager David Hoffman. "Cadillac Fairview is committed to leading the industry in environmental sustainability standards. For its part, TD Centre continues to exceed environmental and operational objectives that benefit our clients, our community and ultimately, our planet."
Earlier this year, the TD Centre was awarded the Green Award of the Year at the 12th Annual Real Estate Excellence (REX) Awards Gala for its sustainability efforts, marking the first time the award has been given to an existing building. The Green Award initiative is dedicated to practices that exemplify excellence in environmental stewardship, while committing to an interconnected approach to sustainability and leadership. Winning this award proved that Cadillac Fairview's decision to preserve and green the iconic complex, designed in 1960 by Mies van der Rohe, was the right thing to do.
The TD Centre's Inaugural Sustainability Report is available for download here: http://www.tdcentre.com/en/tenants/Documents/TDC%20Sustainability%20Report%202013.pdf
LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is a third-party certification program and an internationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings. To achieve LEED® Gold EB: O&M Certification, TD Centre had to meet strict, measurable benchmarks and earn credits in five categories - Sustainable sites, Water efficiency, Energy & Atmosphere, Materials & Resources, and Indoor Environmental Quality.
- Sustainable Sites - TD Centre is in close proximity to the King Street streetcar line and St. Andrew and Union Subway Stations, enabling more than 75 percent of the building occupants to arrive at the building by public transit. TD Centre has also partnered with Zipcar to encourage green transportation, in addition to providing public bike racks for more than 400 bicycles.
- Water Efficiency - Cadillac Fairview's ongoing effort to reduce potable water consumption has led to an extensive washroom upgrade program including the replacement of faucets, toilets, and urinals with new high-performance fixtures. The $250k in upgrades will reduce water use by as much as 30 per cent.
- Energy & Atmosphere - The TD Centre has continuously reduced its overall energy use since 2008 by installing automatic lighting controls, state-of-the-art building automation controls, real-time energy monitoring and lighting retrofits.
- Materials & Resources - In addition to following a range of sustainable purchasing policies, the complex enforces strict waste diversion and sorting plans. At least 75 per cent of the general waste produced at the building is diverted from landfills, and at least 70 per cent of construction waste must also be diverted.
- Indoor Environmental Quality - Smoking is prohibited within 25 ft of any building entrance or air intake. Green cleaning policies mandate the use of environmentally friendly cleaning products and supplies. The building undergoes an annual air quality assessment and immediate action is taken on any potential sources of contaminants. Construction areas are isolated from the rest of the building and the space is flushed out with fresh air before it is re-occupied.
About the TD Centre
The Toronto-Dominion Centre is one of North America's largest business communities and home to 21,000 office employees. Due to its visionary design, unequaled size, and central location, this cultural landmark has played a significant role in the success of a generation of Canada's most innovative and extraordinary business leaders. The TD centre consists of six buildings: Toronto Dominion Bank Tower, 77 King Street West, 100 Wellington Street West, TD Waterhouse Tower, Ernst & Young Tower and 95 Wellington Street West.
About Cadillac Fairview
The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited is one of North America's largest investors, owners and managers of commercial real estate. For more than 50 years, Cadillac Fairview has been a leader in commercial real estate thank to its innovative designs, development and management. Cadillac Fairview focuses on developing and managing high quality office properties and regional shopping centres across North America as well as international investments in real estate companies and investment funds. With a portfolio valued at more than $21 billion, Cadillac Fairview and its affiliates own and manage nearly 46 million square feet of leaseable space at 81 properties across North America, including some of Canada's landmark developments, such as Toronto-Dominion Centre, Toronto Eaton Centre, Pacific Centre and Chinook Centre.
Cadillac Fairview is wholly owned by the Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan, which invests to secure the retirement income of 289,000 active and retired teachers in Ontario. For more information, please visit us online: www.cadillacfairview.com
Image with caption: "The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited is proud to announce that its Toronto-Dominion Bank Tower at 66 Wellington Street West has achieved LEED(R) Gold Certification under the Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance program presented by the Canada Green Building Council. (CNW Group/Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130722_C8835_PHOTO_EN_29185.jpg
Image with caption: "The Toronto-Dominion Bank tower joins an impressive roster of sustainable buildings at the Toronto-Dominion Centre (TD Centre) complex, including LEED(R) Gold certified buildings 77 King Street West and 79 Wellington Street West, and LEED(R) Platinum certified 100 Wellington Street West. (CNW Group/Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130722_C8835_PHOTO_EN_29186.jpg
SOURCE: Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited
For further information:
(416) 640-5525 x 244