MONTREAL, April 11, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - National Bank Investments Inc. (NBI) is proud to announce the launch of a $5 million fund managed entirely by HEC Montréal students. The NBI-HEC Montréal Fund allows students to take on a challenge that's truly one of a kind: managing a multi-asset portfolio based on current market conditions, which are now more complex than ever before.
- The fund will go over and above traditional security selection, focusing on portfolio construction, risk budgeting, selecting investment vehicles and translating the economic context into an asset allocation strategy.
- Team members will be asked to estimate expected returns and long-term risks for major asset classes, manage their tactical allocations, establish an optimal balance between active and passive management and ensure compliance with NBI's criteria for excellence, which stand out thanks to our 100% open architecture model.
- The current team is made up of students playing specific roles based in their designated group (Investments, Investor Relations, and Research, Development & Information Technology). The project is being overseen by Tolga Cenesizoglu and Alain Elkaim, Associate Professor and Full-time Lecturer and Trading Room Coordinator respectively at HEC Montréal.
- National Bank has partnered with HEC Montréal for numerous initiatives over the years, including the Institute for Entrepreneurship National Bank | HEC Montréal, CDL-Montreal, and the Accélérateur Banque Nationale – HEC Montreal (French only).
- "Having high-quality, relevant university training in portfolio management is important for NBI. By creating this fund, we can enable a team of motivated students to enhance their excellent academic learning with a unique, hands-on, high-quality experience," explained Pierre Laroche, Strategist at NBI.
- "This project allows us to apply what we've learned about financial markets throughout university," noted Samuel Vallée, president of the fund and master's student in financial engineering. "NBI has called on us to build our own investment process and unique culture, while supporting us in implementing the fund."
- "Through their involvement in the NBI-HEC Montréal Fund, our students can complement their academic studies with actual portfolio management experience based on some of the finest practices in the industry. This enriching experience will help them launch their professional careers with a clear competitive advantage," added Tolga Cenesizoglu, Associate Professor and Alain Elkaim, Full-time Lecturer and Trading Room Coordinator at HEC Montréal.
About National Bank Investments Inc.
National Bank Investments Inc. (NBI) is an investment funds management firm committed to manufacturing and offering mutual funds, investment solutions and services designed to help Canadian investors pursue their financial goals. As at March 31, 2019, assets under management in NBI products were valued at over $55 billion.
Guided by a 100% open architecture strategy, NBI is dedicated to providing diverse solutions to meet the evolving needs of its clients. NBI consistently strives to be recognized as a key partner by combining innovation and excellence. NBI's role is not limited to administrative aspects of management; NBI Advisory Services and its registered representatives form a team of specialists who provide information and advice to help advisors build portfolios adapted to their clients' financial needs. Follow NBI's activities at nbinvestments.ca or via social media such as YouTube and LinkedIn.
About National Bank of Canada
With $263 billion in assets as at January 31, 2019, National Bank of Canada, together with its subsidiaries, forms one of Canada's leading integrated financial groups. It has more than 23,000 employees in knowledge-intensive positions and has been recognized numerous times as a top employer and for its commitment to diversity. Its securities are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: NA). Follow the Bank's activities at nbc.ca or via social media such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
SOURCE National Bank of Canada
For further information: Stéphanie Rousseau, Senior Advisor - Public Affairs and Corporate Social Responsibility, National Bank of Canada, firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel.: 514-394-5684