Living together, sustainable development, mobility, governance and more!
MONTREAL, June 20, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - The XII Metropolis World Congress will continue tomorrow at Montreal's Palais des congrès. On this third day, the 140 mayors and 1,500 local and international delegates that are present will continue to exchange about the role of metropolises on the international scene in relation to various themes including the fight against climate changes, innovation, migration and living together.
The Metropolis World Congress is a time to exchange ideas on major global challenges and how metropolises contribute to finding solutions.
XII Metropolis World Congress – Day 3
June 21, 2017, from 7:00 AM until 6 :00 PM
Palais des congrès de Montréal
1001 Place Jean-Paul-Riopelle, Montréal, QC H2Z 1H5
It will be possible to take photos and conduct interviews on site. To obtain your media accreditation click here. Please arrive at least 30 minutes in advance to pick up your accreditation and to clear security.
DON'T MISS – Wednesday, June 21
Signature Ceremony – Observatoire international des maires sur le vivre ensemble
The Observatory is the result of the commitment of mayors of cities from four continents, and a unique platform for exchanging on experiences, innovative initiatives and knowledge on cohesion, inclusion and community safety.
- Location : Hôtel InterContinental Montréal, A&S Nordheimer Room
360, Saint-Antoine St West, 5th floor (adjacent au Palais des congrès)
Plenary session – Living Together, Right to the City: How can we build inclusive cities?
Given the phenomena of urbanization and population migrations, how can cities maintain or promote inclusion and social cohesion in order to provide the best opportunities to everyone? The context of metropolisation, of increased mobility of populations and social diversity will be addressed, inter alia, at this plenary session featuring:
- Denis Coderre, Mayor of Montreal and President of Metropolis
- Rahm Emanuel, Mayor of Chicago
- Ron Huldai, Mayor of Tel Aviv-Yafo
- Michael Müller, Mayor of Berlin
- Ratna Omidvar, Ontario Senator, Senate of Canada
- Rose Christiane Ossouka Raponda, Mayor of Libreville
Metropolises Meeting the Challenge of the NUA
Our planet faces massive sustainability challenges. It is now urgent that cities become central actors in deciding their own fate. They need to respond to these challenges directly. The following attendees, inter alia, will be discussing this subject:
- Manuela Carmena, Mayor of Madrid
- Herman Mashaba, Mayor of Johannesburg and Co-President of Metropolis
- Horacio Rodriguez Larreta, Head of Buenos Aires Government
- Michael Müller, Mayor of Berlin
- Laura Pérez Castaño, President of Metropolis Women and member of Barcelona City Council as Advisor for Feminist and LGBTI issues
13:30 à 15:00
Observatory of Metropolis: Major Cities facing the localisation of the Global Agenda
This session lead by Metropolis Observatory will cross-cut the challenges being faced by major cities around the world vis-à-vis the new global agendas in particular the 2030 Agenda and its SDG 11, the climate change agreement and the New Urban Agenda. The following will be attending:
- Patrick Jarry, Mayor of Nanterre
- Bryna Lipper, Senior Vice President at 100 Resilient Cities
- Teodora Nikolova, Architect urban planner and engineer at Paris Region Planning and Development Agency (IAU Île-de-France)
- Eduard Saurina, Deputy Manager at Metropolitan Area of Barcelona
The detailed program is available at: http://montreal2017.metropolis.org/schedule/
For pictures and other media materials: http://www.375mtl.com/en/making-the-375th/press-room/
To access the Congress webcast: http://metropolis2017.evenement.agencewebdiffusion.com/en
Founded in Montreal in 1985, Metropolis gathers close to 140 member cities in a context conducive to exchanges in terms of governance and innovation, as well as the implementation of sustainable environmental, economic, social and cultural development projects in metropolises. For more information on the XII Metropolis World Congress program, visit montreal2017.metropolis.org.
SOURCE Ville de Montréal - Cabinet du maire et du comité exécutif
For further information: And accreditation: Laurie Fossat, C. 514 234-0535, firstname.lastname@example.org; Jules Chamberland-Lajoie, Ville de Montréal, 514 872-7426, email@example.com