TORONTO, April 19, 2017 /CNW/ - Canada's top political and business leaders will debate the country's economic future at the Public Policy Forum's Growth Summit II in Toronto on Thursday, April 20.
Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland will face questions on Canada's relationship with the U.S., and Finance Minister Bill Morneau will explain inclusive growth.
Deloitte's Jonathan Goodman will outline the 'vexing questions' facing Canada in the next 25 years of unprecedented disruption and change. In Deloitte's new report, Goodman says: "What we need are new and courageous conversations - about the choices we face, and the trade-offs we must make, to give the country the best odds of a prosperous future from today forward."
Toronto's chief planner, Jennifer Keesmaat, and Tiff Macklem, Dean of Rotman School of Management, are part of a panel discussion about population and prosperity, while Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi and Vancity's CEO, Tamara Vrooman, are among the panelists talking about inclusive growth.
Michael Sabia, President and CEO, Caisse de depot et placement Quebec and Janet Kennedy, President of Microsoft Canada, appear on a panel on competitiveness.
The event builds on the success of last fall's Growth Summit in Ottawa.
Two breakfast sessions will feature Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, discussing Canada's digital deficit, and McKinsey & Company Global Managing Director, Dominic Barton, outlining Canada's prospects as an agri-food powerhouse.
What: Public Policy Forum Growth Summit II and breakfasts
When: Thursday, April 20
- 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. for breakfast sessions
- 10:00 a.m.- 3:30 p.m. Growth Summit II
Where: Metro Toronto Convention Centre: North Building
Who: Speakers and panelists
- Hon. Chrystia Freeland
- Hon. Bill Morneau
- Hon. Navdeep Bains
- Jonathan Goodman, Global Managing Partner, Monitor Deloitte
- Gemma Corrigan, Economist, World Economic Forum
- Naheed Nenshi, Mayor, City of Calgary
- Tamara Vrooman, President & CEO, Vancity
- Shannon MacDonald, Vice-Chair and Chief Inclusion Officer, Deloitte
- Jennifer Keesmaat, Chief Planner, Toronto
- Tiff Macklem, Dean, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto
- Kate Subak, Executive Director, Century Initiative
- Marta Morgan , Deputy Minister Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Tom Jenkins, Board Chair, OpenText
- Raphael Hofstein, President & CEO, MaRS Innovation
- Janet Kennedy, President, Microsoft Canada
- Michael Sabia, President & CEO, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
- Michael Serbinis, Founder & CEO LEAGUE Inc.
- Giles Gherson, Deputy Minister, Ontario Ministry of Economic Development and Growth, Ontario Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science
- Saad Rafi, Partner, National Public Sector Leader, Deloitte
SOURCE Public Policy Forum
For further information: about Growth Summit II, to attend as media or submit an interview request, please contact: Carl Neustaedter, Director of Communications, Public Policy Forum, Cell: 613-866-7210, [email protected]; Sabrina Ahmad, Communications Specialist, Public Policy Forum, Cell: 613-853-0327, [email protected]; Jane Taber, Vice President Public Affairs, National Public Relations, Cell: 416-700-8798, [email protected]