TORONTO, Nov. 19, 2015 /CNW/ - The 37th Annual Canadian Ethnic Media Association's annual gala and awards presentation will be held on Friday, November 20, 2015, @7:00pm at the National Event Venue, 1000 Finch Avenue West.
Every year CEMA recognizes members of the ethnic media for the work they do in serving the diverse audiences across Canada.
Recipients of CEMA's 2015 Excellence in Journalism Awards are:
- MINGU KIM – Producer," Arirang Korea", for the Television news feature "Toronto: Land of Hope", which explores the journey of North Korean defectors to Toronto, the local community support, and their adaptation to life in Canada.
- IGOR MALAKHOV – Editorial Director, "The Russia Herald of Toronto " TV Vestnik.ca, for the Russian language television series "Culinary Mosaic" which focused on culinary delights found in restaurants in Toronto.
- MONICA MURAIRA – Producer and host of "Momentos con Monica", a show on CHIN Radio in Ottawa, which delivers useful information on a variety of topics in Spanish for the Latin American community.
- JAMES ELLIS & SIMON REES – Producers and hosts of the video story "The Battle of Monte Cassino", which profiles the contribution of the Polish II Corps in one of the most important battles in the liberation of Italy during the Second World War.
- NAZIMA SOHNI UPPAL – Journalist, for her article on Parenting in Interfaith Relationships, published in Suhaag Magazine.
- STAN WHYTE – Digital Content Director, TV Vestnik .ca for pioneering the use of video delivery platforms on social media.
SIERHEY KHMARA ZINIAK AWARD
- Dr. JOSEPH Y. K. WONG C.M.,B.Eng.,M.D. DSc. – for his dedication to multiculturalism, and its expression, through activism and the media.
The Sierhey Khmara Ziniak Award, named for CEMA's founder, is presented annually to an outstanding individual who, through his or her work, has encouraged and supported multiculturalism in Canada.
The Canadian Ethnic Media Association, formerly known as the Canadian Ethnic Journalist and Writers Club, was founded in 1978 as an inclusive organization.
SOURCE Canadian Ethnic Media Association