OTTAWA, Oct. 26, 2016 /CNW/ - Lung Cancer Canada (LCC) is pleased to share the third annual Faces of Lung Cancer report at a special stakeholder briefing session, being held in the nation's capital. As the national voice of lung cancer patients, LCC's Medical Advisory Committee is gathering with patients to discuss the new data and provide their perspectives on where the country needs to be going to positively impact the lives of those living with the disease. Hopeful patient stories will also be part of this year's panel discussion with lung cancer patients sharing the human face of the disease.
Many new research findings in 2016 allowed for a greater perspective on the Canadian lung cancer epidemic. Data from the country's leading authorities along with a new analysis from Lung Cancer Canada that succinctly outlines approval and access timelines for new drugs, shows shocking disparities. From an international perspective, a Global Lung Cancer Coalition (GLCC) initiative that included Canada focused on the state of research and Canada's overall ranking may not be what you expect.
Every year more than 20,000 Canadians die from the disease, more than breast, prostate, and colorectal cancers combined.[i] Women in particular are affected - this trend needs to stop! Lung cancer will touch the lives of most Canadians and LCC invites you to join us for a presentation of new research, a pointed discussion of what needs to be done to address the state of lung cancer in Canada and a narrative of hope from patients who are driving the fight.
- Lung cancer research and awareness briefing event – research presentation and panel discussion.
- Healthcare professionals including:
- Dr. Paul Wheatley-Price, Medical Oncologist and President of Lung Cancer Canada (Ottawa, ON)
- Dr. Rosalyn Juergens, Medical Oncologist and Chair of Lung Cancer Canada's Medical Advisory Committee
- Patients and caregivers including:
- Ian and Cathy McAlpine (Montrose, BC)
- Col. Dr. Jaques Ricard (Ottawa, ON)
- Elizabeth Dessureault (Ottawa, ON)
- Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel
- 1 Rideau St, Ottawa, ON, K1N 8S7 - MacDonald Room
- Media can join remotely via Skype – please contact Ethan Pigott to coordinate
- Tuesday November 1st, at 10:00 am
[i] Canadian Cancer Society – 2016 Cancer Statistics. Available at: http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-type/lung/statistics/?region=on. Last accessed on: October 26, 2016.
SOURCE Lung Cancer Canada
For further information: For more information, or to book an interview in advance of the briefing, please contact: Ethan Pigott, 416-558-2783, [email protected]