TORONTO, Feb. 23, 2018 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell is presenting the 2017 Lieutenant Governor's Ontario Heritage Awards recognizing individuals, groups and communities for exceptional contributions to conserving Ontario's cultural and natural heritage.
Recipients of the 2017 Lieutenant Governor's Ontario Heritage Awards include:
- 36 young people (one individual and three groups) receiving Youth Achievement Awards for exceptional voluntary contributions to heritage conservation by youth age 24 and under.
- Four individuals receiving Lifetime Achievement Awards for volunteer contributions to the conservation of community heritage over a period of 25 years or more.
- 12 conservation projects receiving Excellence in Conservation Awards.
- One community receiving the Community Leadership Award for exemplary leadership, commitment, creativity, positive impact and demonstration of best practices in conservation.
- One organization receiving a Special Achievement Award for an outstanding body of work and sustained commitment to conservation.
The individual recipient of the Youth Achievement Award also receives a $2,000 post-secondary scholarship, jointly funded by the Ontario Heritage Trust and Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life – sponsors of the Trust's Young Heritage Leaders program.
The Lieutenant Governor will present the awards at a Queen's Park ceremony. This presentation is part of the province's annual celebrations marking Heritage Week.
"These exceptional individuals, organizations, and communities are champions of our past and architects of our future. On behalf of a grateful province, I thank them for their exemplary achievements in conserving the best of Ontario from which we may learn and mature."
— The Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario
"My sincere thanks and congratulations go out to this year's Lieutenant Governor's Ontario Heritage Award recipients for their work to preserve the cultural and natural legacy of this province. Their commitment to heritage conservation is exemplary and I'm delighted that they are receiving this special recognition for their contributions."
— Daiene Vernile, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport
"The Ontario Heritage Trust is proud to join the Lieutenant Governor in recognizing these remarkable individuals, organizations and communities for their exceptional achievements in conservation. Their work has made an enduring impact – helping to preserve the irreplaceable heritage of this province – so that it remains for future generations."
— Harvey McCue, Chair of the Ontario Heritage Trust
"We're proud to join the Ontario Heritage Trust in celebrating young Ontarians who are working to improve the well-being of our communities. Congratulations to this year's recipient of the Young Heritage Leaders scholarship – your leadership and contributions to preserving Ontario's heritage are a true inspiration."
— Stefan Kristjanson, President & Chief Operating Officer, Canada, Great-West Life
- Established in 2007, the Lieutenant Governor's Ontario Heritage Awards are annual juried awards administered by the Ontario Heritage Trust to recognize exceptional achievements in heritage conservation.
- In addition to these awards, 121 youth are being recognized at the community level through the Trust's annual Young Heritage Leaders program, which recognizes young volunteers for contributions to identifying, preserving, protecting and promoting Ontario's heritage.
- The Trust`s Young Heritage Leaders and Youth Achievement Awards are sponsored by Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life.
- Read the backgrounder about the 2017 Lieutenant Governor's Ontario Heritage Award Recipients
- Submit a nomination to the Lieutenant Governor's Ontario Heritage Awards and Young Heritage Leaders
- Watch this video about the Young Heritage Leaders program and scholarship
The Ontario Heritage Trust is an agency of the Government of Ontario dedicated to identifying, preserving, protecting and promoting Ontario's heritage.
Aussi disponible en français
SOURCE Ontario Heritage Trust
For further information: Catrina Colme, Ontario Heritage Trust, www.heritagetrust.on.ca, 416-325-5074 (office), 416-278-0442 (cell), firstname.lastname@example.org; John Gross, Office of the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, www.lgontario.ca/en/, 416-325-7786, email@example.com; Tim Oracheski, Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life, 204-946-8961, firstname.lastname@example.org