MONTRÉAL, April 18, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Dogs owners will now be able to enjoy the waterfront parc along Lac St-Louis all year long from 34th avenue all the way to the most west borough limit. This change was adopted by the borough council in Lachine on February 12th. ''We are pleased to be able to ease our regulations and confident that simpler rules encourage greater compliance." says Lachine mayor Maja Vodanovic.
Remember that, in general, dogs are prohibited in all parks, playgrounds and public places in the borough of Lachine, except at the following locations:
- promenade du Rail, between 6th ave and 29th ave, from 6am to 11pm
- park at 55th avenue, corner of autoroute 20 between 6am and 11pm
- park on Victoria, corner of 40th avenue between 6am and 11pm
- park along lac Saint-Louis, from the quai at 34th avenue all the way to the west limit of the borough (new signage)
- from 15 Octobre to April 15th, park along lac Saint-Louis, between 6th avenue and 34th avenue
New signs will be deployed during the week of April 16 in areas where dogs on leashes are now allowed. An information campaign on animal control regulations will be rolled out in the coming months to ensure that dog owners abide by the rules and animal inspectors will be handing out fines that can range from $300 to $700 if the following regulations are not respected:
- All dogs must be on a leash at all times
- All dogs must have a registered city tag
- Dogs that are 20kg or more must wear a halter or harness and have a leash no longer than 1.85 for easier control
- Pet owners must pick up dog excrements
The respect of these regulations by all dog walkers will promote a harmonious cohabitation of all users of public spaces. `'It is a small, yet significant change for pet owners in Lachine. And it comes at a time when our administration is working on improving Montréal's animal control by-law that we hope to present in May'' Says Michèle Flannery, borough councillor that is responsible for the animal control matters in Lachine.
SOURCE Ville de Montréal - Arrondissement de Lachine
For further information: Sophie Lepage, Chargée de communications, Arrondissement de Lachine, 514 634-3471, poste 371