MONTRÉAL, June 21, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - The Mayor of Montréal, the Honourable Denis Coderre, presided today over the signing ceremony of the International Observatory of Mayors Living Together, during which thirteen new cities joined its ranks. It was also an occasion to mark the first anniversary since the official launch of the Observatory, in June 2016.
"I am honoured to welcome today to our city, on the occasion of its 375th anniversary, all my counterparts and friends who have travelled from the far reaches of our globe to share in our best practices of Living Together. Since holding the Living Together Summit exactly two years ago here in Montréal, 45 cities in more than 25 countries of Europe, Africa, Asia and North and South America have joined the Observatory. I am quite proud to see our network grow and I would like to extend a special welcome to our new member cities," said the Mayor of Montréal, Mr. Denis Coderre.
The new signatories are:
- Mr. Abdelkader Zoukh, wali of Algiers (Algeria)
- Mr. Ziad Chebib, governor of Beirut (Lebanon)
- Mr. Horacio Rodriguez Larreta, mayor of Buenos Aires (Argentina)
- Mr. Houssem Ben Sghaier, mayor of Carthage (Tunisia)
- Mr. Rahm Emanuel, mayor of Chicago (United States)
- Mr. Alexandre Cusson, mayor of Drummondville (Canada)
- Mr. Grégoire Junod, trustee of Lausanne (Switzerland)
- Mrs. Rose Christiane Ossouka Raponda, mayoress of Libreville (Gabon)
- Mrs. Manuela Carmena, mayor of Madrid (Spain)
- Mr. Armand Beouinde, mayor of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso)
- Mr. Mohamed Sadiki, mayor of Rabat (Morocco)
- Mr. Roland Ries, mayor of Strasbourg (France)
- Mr. Seïfallah Lasram, mayor of Tunis (Tunisia)
The International Observatory of Mayors Living Together is a first for local governments. It was established, notably, to document the new challenges and the best innovative practices of Living Together on a worldwide level through close collaboration with universities and research centres of member cities.
One year after its launch, the Observatory already has around forty practices in various categories of municipal action such as culture, immigration and social development. It also includes several original studies and case studies dealing with some of those initiatives.
About the International Observatory of Mayors Living Together
The Observatory is the result of the commitment of mayors from 23 cities on four continents. It is a unique platform for the exchange of experiences, innovative initiatives and of knowledge concerning cohesion, inclusion and everyday safety in cities. Since going online, the internet site of the Observatory has been consulted by thousands of users in more than 1,000 cities and communities in over 100 countries worldwide.
For more information go to: observatoirevivreensemble.org/
SOURCE Ville de Montréal - Cabinet du maire et du comité exécutif
For further information: Sources: Marc-André Gosselin, Press attaché, Office of the mayor and executive committee, 514 290-1194; Information: Jules Chamberland-Lajoie, Press Relations Officer, Service des communications, 514 868-5859