Canada Health Infoway announces recipients of ImagineNation Outcomes Challenge Trailblazer Awards
"Innovation is about translating great ideas into results," said Richard Alvarez, President and CEO of Canada Health Infoway. "With the Trailblazer Awards, we are recognizing teams that not only have innovative e-solutions, but also have creative, practical plans to extend the use of their solutions for the benefit of the patients, clinicians and others."
Participating teams submitted a video describing how they use an innovative e-solution to provide value to clinicians and patients, as well as a written plan outlining actions they will take to increase the volume of use and the number of users of their solution.
There are four categories in the Challenge:
- e-Scheduling - solutions that allow patients to book, change and cancel appointments online or with a mobile device;
- Patient Access to Health Information - solutions that give patients and their families access to their own personal health information, resources and support;
- Medication Reconciliation - electronic tools to help health care providers work with patients, families and other clinicians to ensure accurate and comprehensive medication information is communicated consistently across transitions of care; and
- Clinical Synoptic Reporting - electronic tools that improve communication amongst clinicians using structured summaries of a patient's health and health care that can be used across the health care team.
Trailblazer Award Recipients
The top three teams in each of the four categories were selected by a panel of more than 30 judges from across Canada. The award recipients are:
1st place: University of British Columbia Student Health Service (Vancouver, BC)
2nd place: Uptown Family Health Team (Richmond Hill, ON)
3rd place: Westmount Square Medical Center (Montreal, QC)
Patient Access to Health Information
1st place: Cancer Care Ontario (Toronto, ON)
2nd place: University of British Columbia Student Health Service (Vancouver, BC)
3rd place: Fraser Health Authority (New Westminster, BC)
Clinical Synoptic Reporting
1st place: University Health Network (Toronto, ON)
2nd place: Integrated Hospital Laboratories Service of Windsor-Essex (Windsor, ON)
3rd place: Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON)
"We're thrilled to be recognized as an Outcomes Challenge Trailblazer," said Dr. Patricia Mirwaldt of the University of British Columbia Student Health Service, an award recipient in two categories. "These awards will allow us to provide even more value to our students by creating a mobile application that fully integrates with our current software and allows instant use in a secure manner of the electronic medical record from virtually anywhere."
The Outcomes Challenge
The Outcomes Challenge offers more than one million dollars in awards, to be shared by teams whose solutions are used most and those with the strongest growth in users in the four Challenge categories. The goal of the Challenge is to accelerate the use of innovative IT solutions with the potential to improve health care quality and the patient experience.
The following Canadian health care organizations are working with Infoway to help shape the Challenge by providing expert advice, encouraging participation, promoting the Challenge and participating in the judging panel:
- Accreditation Canada
- Association of Canadian Academic Healthcare Organizations
- COACH: Canada's Health Informatics Association
- Canadian Dental Association
- Canadian Home Care Association
- Canadian Partnership Against Cancer
- Canadian Patient Safety Institute
- Health Action Lobby
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices
- Patients' Association of Canada
- Patients for Patient Safety Canada
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
About Canada Health Infoway Canada Health Infoway is an independent, not-for-profit organization funded by the federal government. Infoway jointly invests with every province and territory to accelerate the development and adoption of information and communications technology projects in Canada. Fully respecting patient confidentiality, these secure systems will provide clinicians and patients with the information they need to better support safe care decisions and manage their own health. Accessing this vital information quickly will help foster a more modern and sustainable health care system for all Canadians.
Video with caption: "Video: University Health Network (Toronto, ON), 1st place, Clinical Synoptic Reporting". Video available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZPXfh-Fh0
Video with caption: "Video: UBC Student Health Service (Vancouver, BC), 1st place, e-Scheduling". Video available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEw6nQ-Kg8Q&feature=youtu.be
Video with caption: "Video: The Ottawa Hospital (Ottawa, ON), 1st place, Medication Reconciliation". Video available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OanKAcJPYls
Video with caption: "Video: Cancer Care Ontario (Toronto, ON), 1st place, Patient Access to Health Information". Video available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nj_vk_7pnI
For further information:
Director, Media Relations
Canada Health Infoway
Tel.: (416) 595-3424