OTTAWA, Oct. 13, 2016 /CNW/ - As part of a national consultation to strengthen the inclusion of all Canadians in our electoral system, the Special Committee on Electoral Reform will be in Iqaluit to identify viable alternate voting systems to replace the first-past-the-post system. Canadians interested in contributing to the study can share their views on electoral reform, online voting and mandatory voting by participating in the open mic sessions.
Monday, October 17, 2016
1:30 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. Witness Panel(s)
4:15 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Open mic session
6:00 p.m. - 7:15 p.m. Witness Panel(s)
7:15 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. Open mic session
Frobisher Inn and Conference Centre
Astro Hill Complex
505 Astro Hill, Iqaluit, Nunavut
Koojesse Room North
The meeting will be open to the public.
See the Notice of Meeting for more information, including witnesses.
Members of the public who wish to speak at the open mic sessions must register on-site at least 30 minutes before the start of the session. The list of speakers will be determined on a first-come-first served basis.
A live audio feed will be available through the Committee's website.
- The Committee's mandate was set out in a motion adopted by the House of Commons on Tuesday, June 7, 2016.
- An Update on the Special Committee's Study on Electoral Reform was published on September 6, 2016.
- As of October 7, 2016, the Special Committee has held 39 substantive meetings and heard from nearly 160 witnesses, including the Minister of Democratic Institutions and the Chief Electoral Officer. Read transcripts of meetings.
- Over 22,000 Canadians participated in an online consultation on voting and electoral systems.
- The Committee invites Canadians to share questions and comments on Twitter using the hashtags #ERRE #Q.
SOURCE House of Commons - Special Committee on Electoral Reform
Image with caption: "Special Committee on Electoral Reform (CNW Group/House of Commons - Special Committee on Electoral Reform)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20161013_C3651_PHOTO_EN_794768.jpg