ST. JACOBS, ON, Dec. 17, 2016 /CNW/ - It is with great sorrow that Home Hardware Stores Limited announces the death of Co-Founder Mr. Walter Hachborn, President Emeritus, who passed away on December 17, 2016 at the age of 95.
Mr. Walter Hachborn began his hardware career in 1938 at Hollinger Hardware in St. Jacobs, Ontario, and dedicated his entire life to serving his employees and the hardware industry as a whole. He, along with Henry Sittler and silent partner Arthur Zilliax, co-founded Home Hardware Stores Limited in 1964. Mr. Hachborn was the driving force behind developing a Canadian cooperative hardware business during a time when "big box" retailers with manufacturer-direct buying power were coming to Canada. He encouraged independent Dealers to band together to form a Dealer-owned hardware cooperative with an equal share and voice for every member, growing Home Hardware to become Canada's largest independent home improvement retailer.
Mr. Walter Hachborn has been recognized and honoured for his professional and personal efforts.
His accomplishments include:
- Woolwich Township's Citizen of the Year, 1974
- Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws from Wilfred Laurier University, 1985
- Distinguished Retailer of the Year Award at the Retail Council of Canada's Annual Convention, 1988
- Canadian Hardware/Housewares Hall of Fame inductee, 1989
- Estwing Co.'s Gold Hammer Award recipient, 1989
- Stanley Gold Saw for 50 years in the Hardware industry, 1989
- Named Master Entrepreneur by the Entrepreneur of the Year program, 1996
- Hardware Merchandising magazine's Canadian Hardware Retailer of the Century award recipient, 1999
- Appointment to The Order of Canada for his outstanding business achievements and community service, 2000
- Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal award recipient, 2003
- Retail Council of Canada's Lifetime Achievement Award recipient, 2007
- Canadian Business Hall of Fame inductee, 2015
- Waterloo Region Entrepreneur Hall of Fame inductee, 2015
Philanthropy was very important to Mr. Hachborn. He assisted with a Habitat for Humanity build project with U.S. president Jimmy Carter, and spent many years on the Lutheran Church and Wilfred Laurier University Boards.
Over the course of his almost 80-year career, Mr. Hachborn's leadership and entrepreneurialism have had tremendous impact on the national hardware industry and the survival of the independent home improvement retailer in Canada. His combination of business acumen, work ethic, ingenuity and kindness, have inspired thousands over the course of his distinguished career and has helped establish Home Hardware as one of Canada's Best Managed Companies and 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
"Home Hardware was created by and for independent Dealers who believed in a community that would serve the Canadian hardware retail industry's common good. That kind of principle is as solid a foundation as you can have for succeeding in business, because it attracts good people. Our Dealers - and everyone else who works for Home Hardware - are driven by more than just the bottom line. They care about building friendships, helping people and serving their communities. That spirit is what defines Home Hardware in the Canadian retail landscape."
- Mr. Walter Hachborn, 2004
About Home Hardware Stores Limited
Home Hardware Stores Limited is Canada's largest independent home improvement retailer with close to 1,100 stores under the Home Hardware, Home Building Centre, Home Hardware Building Centre and Home Furniture banners with annual retail sales of over $5.8 billion. The privately owned wholesale company was founded in 1964 in rural St. Jacobs, Ontario and remains 100% Canadian owned and operated. Through the Home Hardware network, Dealer-Owners have access to 100,000 quality, brand name and private label products, a state-of-the-art distribution system and extensive marketing and training programs. Offering a mix of tradition and innovation, Home Hardware Stores Limited has received designation as one of Canada's Best Corporate Cultures and Best Managed Companies and is committed to providing local communities with superior service and expert advice. More information about the company is available at homehardware.ca.
SOURCE Home Hardware Stores Limited
For further information: Jessica Kuepfer, Public Relations Manager, Home Hardware Stores Limited (519) 664-4612, [email protected]