ST. JACOBS, On, Sept. 26, 2012 /CNW/ - Home Hardware Stores Limited and Tree Canada are rolling up their sleeves for the second annual National Tree Day. During the fall months, 28 Home Hardware Dealers will be planting large trees to beautify their communities and foster a greener environment. Since 1992, Home Hardware Dealers have planted more than 17,000 large trees valued at over $800,000 in green spaces from coast to coast.
"Home Hardware has enjoyed a long-standing partnership with Tree Canada," said Paul Straus, President and CEO, Home Hardware Stores Limited. "It is a natural fit for our organization because we've always focused on serving our customers at the local level - and that includes giving back to our local communities."
By planting larger trees, communities and their residents are able to immediately benefit from environmental and psychological factors such as improved air quality, increased oxygen production and enhanced scenery without having to wait for saplings to mature. Larger, mature trees also have a much higher survival rate compared to seedlings or saplings.
September 26, 2011 marks the second National Tree Day in Canada. On March 2, 2011 the House of Commons passed Motion-575 to declare the Wednesday of National Forest Week, as National Tree Day. National Tree Day is celebrated across the country with tree dedications, plantings, educational workshops, outdoor education walks, interpretive days, schoolyard plantings and seminars.
"We are proud that Home Hardware Dealers across the country are so dedicated and enthusiastic about this longstanding partnership," said Michael Rosen, President of Tree Canada. "It's fantastic to see Dealers in communities large and small, urban and rural, doing their part for the environment, and setting a great example for all Canadians."
In 2012, the following Home Hardware stores will participate in tree plantings:
- Crysler Home Centre Limited, Crysler, ON
- Beach Builders Supplies, Wasaga Beach, ON
- Napanee Home Hardware Building Centre, Napanee, ON
- Home Hardware - Maxville, Maxville, ON
- Fogo Island Home Hardware Building Centre, Fogo, NL
- Millbrook Home Hardware, Millbrook, ON
- Harris Home Hardware, London ,Ontario
- Brockville Home Hardware Building Centre, Brockville, ON
- Allen's Home Building Centre, Paisley, ON
- Espanola Home Hardware Building Centre, Espanola, ON
- MacLean Home Hardware, Exeter, ON
- MacKenzie Home Building Centre, MacKenzie, BC
- Kaslo Home Hardware, Kaslo, BC
- Burnside Home Hardware, Victoria, BC
- Westcoast Home Hardware, Port Alberni, BC
- Parksville Home Hardware, Parksville, BC
- Dee Jay Hardware Ltd., Claresholm, AB
- Spirit River Home Hardware, Spirit River, AB
- Craig Home Hardware Building Centre, Hudson Bay, Saskatchewan
- Harvey's Home Centre, Assiniboia, SK
- Gravelbourg Home Building Centre, Gravelbourg, SK
- Roblynn Home Hardware Building Centre, Oromocto, NB
- Toner Home Hardware, Grand Falls, New Brunswick
- Brady Home Building Centre, Liverpool , NS
- MacRae Home Hardware, North Sydney, NS
- Home Hardware - Charlottetown, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
- Turnbull's Home Hardware Building Centre, L'Anse au Clair, NL
- Shields Home Hardware, Coboconk, Ontario
About Home Hardware Stores Limited
100% Canadian owned and operated, Home Hardware Stores Limited has a presence in every Canadian province and territory and is the country's largest independent, Dealer-owned hardware, lumber, building materials and furniture cooperative. Founded on January 1, 1964 by 122 independent hardware Dealers, the cooperative now includes more than 1,080 stores, under the Home Hardware, Home Building Centre, Home Hardware Building Centre and Home Furniture banners, with annual collective retail sales of more than $5 billion. Home Hardware's independent Dealer-Owners, recognized by the North American Retail Hardware Association as Canada's best-trained Dealer group, have access to 100,000 quality brand name and private label products, a world-class distribution system and draw upon the power of Home Hardware's network to provide their local communities with top quality products and services at competitive prices.
About Tree Canada
Tree Canada is a not-for-profit charitable organization that works with sponsors, donors and communities to plant and care for rural and urban trees, promotes urban forests in Canada and facilitates carbon offset projects with trees. To date, more than 77 million trees have been planted, more than 450 schoolyards have been greened, and Tree Canada has organized 9 national urban forest conferences. More information about Tree Canada is available at www.treecanada.ca.
Image with caption: "Jamie Lewis, Manager of Home Hardware Charlottetown, leads a tree plant with local dignitaries to commemorate National Tree Day. Home Hardware Dealers in 28 communities across Canada are planting mature trees to beautify their communities and foster a greener environment as part of the company's partnership with Tree Canada. From Left to Right: Bruce Smith, PEI Trees Canada Community Advisor, Beth Hoar, City of Charlottetown, Parkland Conservationist, George Webster, Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, and Jamie Lewis, Manager, Home Hardware Charlottetown. (CNW Group/Home Hardware Stores Limited)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20120926_C9957_PHOTO_EN_18542.jpg
SOURCE: Home Hardware Stores Limited
For further information:
Rob Wallace, Public Relations & Promotional Events Manager, Home Hardware Stores Limited at 519-664-4710, firstname.lastname@example.org or,
Lindsey Dietrich, Public Relations Coordinator, Home Hardware Stores Limited at 519-664-2252 ext. 6676, email@example.com.