MONT-SAINT-GUIBERT, Belgium, Sept. 10, 2015 /CNW/ -- intoPIX today announced Grass Valley, a Belden Brand, has successfully integrated intoPIX TICO lightweight compression into a suite of its live production solutions providing support for 4K 1-wire transmission. TICO 4:1 visually lossless compression carries a high-quality signal across a single wire, which eases the broadcast transition towards IP and 4K/UHD while simplifying connectivity.
"By leveraging this technology, we are able to deliver robust, fully integrated solutions that enable 4K 1-wire in our LDX Series cameras and K-Frame switchers, increasing the viability of 4K/UHD business models for live production," says Mike Cronk, senior VP of strategic marketing, Grass Valley. "Grass Valley is proud to bring to market a solution that makes it easier for broadcasters to transition to 4K/UHD and IP when the time is right for them."
"Grass Valley evaluated a number of compression solutions before selecting TICO, but none of them offered the right features and advantages to serve broadcaster's needs," said Gael Rouvroy, CTO, intoPIX.
Grass Valley chose intoPIX's TICO lightweight compression for five main reasons:
- Uncompressed quality with suitable compression ratio: Grass Valley selected TICO for its ability to deliver the same visual quality as uncompressed video, without impacting quality or latency for software and hardware platforms. Content is visually lossless up to 4:1 and easily integrates into today's HD workflows to 4K/UHD on 3G-SDI and 10GbE. TICO has shown qualities similar to JPEG2000 and has outpaced legacy VC2-LD showing significantly better quality, lower latency and complexity.
- A minimal footprint in FPGA: Leveraging existing infrastructures, customers will be able to move to 4K/UHD with a cost-effective and streamlined solution. TICO has a light footprint in FPGA, 10X smaller than JPEG2000 without using external memory, 2X smaller than VC2-LD with lower latency and higher quality. IP-cores are targeted for high-pixel-rate, multi-pixel-per-cycle processing and designed to scale up to 8K120p 444.
- A highly parallel algorithm for software: TICO is a powerful solution that reaches 4K60p using cost-effective CPUs and supports 8K with its current decoder implementation.
- A standard technology ready for wide adoption and interoperability: The evolution of this technology illustrates the type of cost-effective and streamlined connectivity for 4K/UHD and IP that Grass Valley was looking for. TICO is being submitted as a registered disclosure document (RDD) at SMPTE. An alliance has been created to support its integration in studio infrastructure (www.tico-alliance.org).
- A recognized expert in high-quality video compression: intoPIX is recognized for its significant work and know-how on JPEG 2000 implementation. A standard for a codec is not enough—intoPIX has implemented TICO with a scalable architecture addressing HD, 4K/UHD and 8K and multiple platforms (FPGA, ASIC, CPU) to significantly accelerate the time to market.
TICO compression is a breakthrough technology that allows broadcasters to transition to 4K/UHD and IP workflows as business needs dictate, with high performance and low cost. Visit Grass Valley (Hall 1, Stand D11) and intoPIX (Hall 10, Stand D31d) to learn more through hands-on tutorials and demonstrations at IBC 2015.
intoPIX is a leading image compression technology provider to audiovisual equipment manufacturers. We are passionate about offering people a higher-quality image experience and have developed FPGA IP-cores and software tools that enable leading-edge TICO Lightweight compression, JPEG2000 compression, security, video over IP and hardware enforcement. More information on our company, customers and products can be found on www.intopix.com.
For further information: Jean-Baptiste Lorent, [email protected], +3210238476