CPA Alberta Achievement Awards recognize 33 individuals for community and professional contributions
CALGARY, May 2, 2017 /CNW/ - Thirty three individuals have been honoured by CPA Alberta for their significant contributions to charitable and community causes, as well as to the business community. Notably, two members — Randy Garvey FCPA, FCMA and Brian Hesje FCPA, FCA, ICD.D — have been selected to join the exclusive roster of Lifetime Achievement Award recipients, whose achievements in their careers and in the community have earned them high distinction and brought honour to the profession.
"Our CPA Alberta membership is made up of some outstanding professionals," said Rachel Miller FCPA, FCA, CEO of CPA Alberta. "Whether it's members volunteering their skillset in the community, sharing expertise with colleagues, or inspiring others with their daily conduct and career accomplishments, we're so proud to recognize them for their dedication and successes."
Recognition is given in four categories: Lifetime Achievement, Fellows of the Chartered Professional Accountants (FCPA), Distinguished Service, and Early Achievement. Recipients come from a diverse list of industries and organizations from across Alberta. The full list of award recipients and a web link to each of their bios is included in the backgrounder at the end of this release.
Recipients will receive their Achievement Awards at the 2017 Elevate Awards Gala being held on June 2 in Calgary. The gala is just one part of a week-long celebration that brings together Alberta CPAs for various events such as: CPA family days, networking events, a chapter golf tournament, and a full-day professional development conference.
In addition to the Achievement Awards, the CPA Education Foundation, the non-profit foundation that supports business and accounting education across the province, will also recognize the recipients of its 2017 Impact Award on June 2: David Bentley FCPA, FCA and Janet Bentley. The Foundation's Impact Award honours individuals who support the Foundation's initiatives — whether through volunteering, making a substantial donation, or advocating for special projects.
For more information on Elevate Week 2017: http://www.cpaalberta.ca/Events/Elevate-2017
Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) is the Canadian business and accounting designation representing more than 200,000 professional accountants across the country. As part of the CPA profession in Canada, CPA Alberta is the professional organization for more than 28,000 CPAs across the province.
To view the bios for each Achievement Award recipient: http://www.cpaalberta.ca/Members/Achievement-Awards/2017-Award-Recipients
The full list of 2017 CPA Alberta Achievement Award recipients:
Lifetime Achievement Award
The Lifetime Achievement Award formally recognizes Fellows of the Chartered Professional Accountants who have continued to render exceptional services to the profession or whose achievements in their careers or in the community have earned them distinction and brought honour to the profession.
Randy Garvey FCPA, FCMA (Edmonton) Career Highlights:
- Chair of the Audit and Finance Committee: Board of Directors for STARS (ends in September 2017)
- Worked as:
- General Manager of Corporate Services and Chief Financial Officer at the City of Edmonton
- Vice President and CFO at the Workers Compensation Board of Alberta
- Executive Vice President at Canadian Western Bank
- Led initiatives that advanced Canadian Western Bank's processes and technology, helping it become one of the fastest growing financial service providers in Canada.
- Served as:
- President, Edmonton CFA Society
- Policy and Advocacy Committee of the Canadian Bankers Association
- Member, CMA Canada Board
- Second Vice-Chair and Board Chair, Northlands
- Played a pivotal role in providing leadership and guidance during the unification of the accounting profession.
Brian Hesje FCPA, FCA, ICD.D (Edmonton) Career Highlights:
- Chair of the Board of ATB Financial (since 2011)
- Worked as:
- Partner at Sax, Zimmel, Stewart & Company
- President and CEO of Fountain Tire
- Instructor with the Faculty of Business at the University of Alberta
- Under his leadership, Fountain Tire was awarded "One of Canada's 50 Best-Managed Private Companies" for six consecutive years
- Served as:
- Director, ATB Financial
- Chair, Alberta Innovates - Bio Solutions Board
- Vice-Chair, Board of Governors of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- Chair, Fountain Tire Board
- During his time on the Board, ATB has won four awards from the Governance Professionals of Canada — most recently in 2016, when the organization was awarded Best Overall Governance of a non-publicly traded entity.
- Canadian Institute of Retailing & Services ( CIRAS) Henry Singer Award in 2003
- Alberta Centennial Medal in 2005
- University of Alberta Alumni Honour Award
Fellows of the Chartered Professional Accountants
The Fellow of Chartered Professional Accountants (FCPA) is granted to those members who have rendered exceptional service to the profession or whose achievements in their careers, the community, or in the profession have earned them distinction and brought honour to the profession.
- Dave Bryan FCPA, FCA, CA•CIRP (Edmonton)
- Stephen Clark FCPA, FCMA (Okotoks)
- Rob Heron FCPA, FCA (Edmonton)
- Richard Iwaniuk FCPA, FCA (Edmonton)
- Barry Munro FCPA, FCA (Calgary)
- Gordon Panas FCPA, FCA (Edmonton)
- Debbie Stein FCPA, FCA (De Winton)
- Angelo Toselli FCPA, FCA (Calgary)
Distinguished Service Awards
The Distinguished Service Award recognizes members or supporters of the profession who have demonstrated a significant achievement within the last five years and have therefore brought honour to the profession.
- David Brunetta CPA, CMA (Edmonton)
- Gregg Calcott CPA, CMA (Calgary)
- Jason Ding CPA, CA (Edmonton)
- Everett Duerksen CPA, CA (Coaldale)
- Robyn Eeson CPA, CA (Edmonton)
- Charles Evans CPA, CA (Edmonton)
- Barb King CPA, CA (Red Deer)
- Donna Kline FCPA, FCA (Edmonton)
- Sandy Lyons CPA, CA•CIRP (Lethbridge)
- Dave Minhas CPA, CA (Red Deer)
Early Achievement Awards
The Early Achievement Award recognizes CPAs who have had their accounting designation for 10 years or less and have rendered exceptional service to the profession or whose achievements in their careers or in the community have earned them distinction and brought honour to the profession.
- Tammie Belanger CPA, CA (Lethbridge)
- Amanda Blair CPA, CA (Red Deer)
- Tyler Brack CPA, CA (Lethbridge)
- Matt Calnan CPA, CMA (Lethbridge)
- Ian Folinsbee CPA, CMA (Calgary)
- Kira Gregson CPA, CA (Edmonton)
- Loretta Lieverse CPA, CA (Grande Prairie)
- Thomas Lui CPA, CA (Calgary)
- Paula Overguard CPA, CA (Calgary)
- Natalie Pon CPA (Edmonton)
- Taylor Rolheiser CPA, CA (Edmonton)
- Nicole Sakaria CPA, CA (Calgary)
SOURCE CPA Alberta
For further information: For media inquiries, or to arrange an interview with a CPA award recipient, please contact: Chris Pilger, Director, Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org, D. 780.420.2363